The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bobafett

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 12:40 AM

sam4msu is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie reel question

I have ordered a 9' 5wt TFO Lefty Kreh Professional series rod (got a great deal on it) What reel do you all recommend that I put on it. I will be mostly tailrace trout fishing with it, sometimes I will do some warm water fishing (panfish with the occasional smallie) I would like to spend as little as possible, absolutely no more than $100 but closer to $50 would be even better.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie reel question

Well in case nobody has done it yet, welcome to the forum. This is a great place with a lot of good information and great people.

As for the reel, all I look for in a reel is a drag that doesn't start up hard or jerk. Most quality makers have drags that will do fine. A great place to get the cheaper 'upgrade' is Sierra Trading Post. Here is a link Fishing Reels up to 33% off at Sierra Trading Post

The Ross fly cast 2 might be a good one for you. I just got a big Ross and have a couple of others. I have no complaints.

A second place you may want to look at is Madison River's closeouts. Here's a link to them. CLEARANCE & SPECIALS - Product Catalog

This site has had time to get picked over pretty well and I have not looked it over lately.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:30 AM

Thanks Dan...I'll look into those reels. Madison River is actually where I ordered the rod from, great deal. All of the closeout reels are higher priced than I am prepared to spend right now.
Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

allen fly fishing is having a reel sale
Allen Fly Fishing
the alpha 5/6 would be a great choice

casey

ARFE
Old 03-09-2012, 10:46 AM

Once again, thanks for all of your advice. I will be ordering something tonight after seeing any other suggestions and investigating them.
Thanks to all for the great help.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:26 AM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough

I have enjoyed my Deschutes II from Flyfishingbenefactors, and the customer service has been great with my clumsy broken rod, too. Good luck on your search and welcome to the forum!
team7x likes this.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:38 AM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Take a look at the Redington Crosswater series 39.99

Redington at FishUSA.com - America's Tackle Shop!

A Allen would be a better choice but I cked this morning, the sale prices are gone.

Rick
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 PM

After emailing back and forth with Justin, I decided on the Allen Alpha. The sale price is still in their system and shows when you place the order. I can't wait to get it and slay my first trout with my new set-up!!! Justin's fast response to my email questions was the deciding factor in my decision. Thanks to all for the recommendations.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:33 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

good choice

ARFE
Old 03-17-2012, 04:57 PM

WOW...My new reel came in today, I haven't put line on it yet but it is a thing of beauty!!! I can tell already that I made the right choice!!! Thanks Justin.