The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Location: Pointe Aux Anglais, Qu閎ec North Shore Region (CANADA)
JOCELIN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JOCELIN
Default Re: Lamson Konic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely View Post
What a fudging ripoff. A $120 die cast trout reel? OH WOW, a trout reel that has a drag that can fight a marlin<sarcasm>.

You want to impress me? Give me a large arbor trout reel for under $90 that is cnc machined. Lucky me their is one

These reels are constructed of fully machined Aluminum Magnesium. Magnesium has the best strength-to-weight ratio of any of the commonly used structural metals. It has excellent dimensional stability and is highly impact and dent resistant. The addition of magnesium to aluminum vastly improves its strength and corrosion resistance. So you now have a fly reel that will hold up to harsh treatment and give you uninterrupted service for many years to come.

Features
路 Fully Machined Aluminum Magnesium
路 Large Arbor Design
路 Large Drag Adjustment Knob
路 Large Diameter Cork/FXB Polymer Disc Drag
路 Ultra Smooth and Low Start-Up Inertia
路 Saltwater Safe
路 Highly Impact Resistant
路 Precision Sealed Stainless Steel Ball Bearings
路 One-Way Roller Bearing
路 Quick Left and Right Hand Reversal
路 Counter Balanced Spool
路 Drag Clutch with Zero-Backlash
路 Silent Retrieve with Outgoing Click
路 Quick Release Spool
路 Exposed Palming Rim for Additional Control
路 Protective Reel Bag
Specifications
Line Wt: 4wt to 6wt
Weight: 6.95 oz
Outside Dia: 3.5 in
Inside Dia: 2.0 in
Width: 1.1 in
Capacity: 175 yds 20# backing with WF-5-F fly line
Click the image to open in full size.

This is the reel he his talking about 89.99

Jocelin
Old 01-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi JOCELIN,

Thanks for the picture. I wish you had told us who makes the reel.

For some reason the Specs that Steely posted don't add up. The fish cutout on the sides appear to be stamped and if it has much Magnesium in the alloy it would weigh less than 6.95oz.

Do you have one of these reels or can you tell me the name of it. It does seem like a good reel for the money.

Frank
Old 01-13-2008, 05:33 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hey Burns
Ross has a limited edition "Reel in a Cure" Reel that may go good with your line and rod I saw one on the big auction site I think i was a Ross rythym.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi JOCELIN,

Thanks for the picture. I wish you had told us who makes the reel.

For some reason the Specs that Steely posted don't add up. The fish cutout on the sides appear to stamped and if it has much Magnesium in the alloy it would weigh less than 6.95oz.

Do you have one of these reels or can you tell me the name of it. It does seem like a good reel for the money.

Frank
Sorry Frank

Here is the info

The name is ***** Creek MAG-xT Large Arbor Fly Reel

***** Creek MAG-xT Large Arbor Fly Reel

I also think that Lamson is trying to sell us a 30 $ reel with a sweet drag for 120 $, Why would I buy a reel that is die cast and pay 120 $ for it (in the begining they were asking 150 $) funny the price came down and will come down again.

You can put formila one brakes on a LADA this doesnt make it a F1 car

my .02 cents

Jocelin FAN of nice fully Machined reels and die casts one are for the hot wheels castings

Old 01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi JOCELIN,

Thanks for the information. I also prefer a bar stock reel and am willing to pay the money. There are new fly fishers that are trying to keep the cost down to start out with. That is where these lower cost reels are needed. It does seem that Konic is high priced but I have not seen one to judge it.

What is that reel you showed in your last post? I can tell it is a multiplier from the construction. Is it made in Canada? Looks like a dandy Salmon reel.

Frank
Old 01-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Lamsons, no mater what they are made out of. They do require a little TLC. All fishing gear is priced way out there and you wait long enough you can get them for the price you want, specially with e-bay.
I like the Konics weight factor, cause i do have a lot of Ultra Lights.
That reel with the fish on it is a cool looking reel but a 6.5 a little heavy for my fishing. I know a lot of you fish 7wt and heavier so that is probably a normal weight.
I am curious so I will ask in case some here knows, but are any Hardy's die cast?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi JOCELIN,

Thanks for the information. I also prefer a bar stock reel and am willing to pay the money. There are new fly fishers that are trying to keep the cost down to start out with. That is where these lower cost reels are needed. It does seem that Konic is high priced but I have not seen one to judge it.

What is that reel you showed in your last post? I can tell it is a multiplier from the construction. Is it made in Canada? Looks like a dandy Salmon reel.

Frank
Frank

These reels are Italian (GATTI)

The models in the 3 pictures are Anti reverse (the black one is Large Arbor) and spools are interchangeable from LA to Standard spools. They are not multiplier. They are available in 4 sizes and pricing starts at 250 $ to 515 $

Model 1 (Direct-drive only)
This model was designed for anglers who fish for trout in classic light line situations. It's a perfect choice for a 6'6" to 7'6" rod in a 2,3 or 4 weight. The ultimate spring creek reel.

Model 2 (Direct-drive only)
The perfect balance for a 9 foot, 3 or 4 weight rod, or a 8 to 8 1/2 foot rod in a 5, 6 or 7 weight. An excellent choice for an all-purpose freshwater reel.

Model 3 (Direct-drive or anti-reverse)
Designed for 8, 9 to 10 weight lines, this is an excellent choice for small saltwater species such as large bonefish, small tarpon or striped bass. It's also a great choice for heavy freshwater fish such as large salmon, northern pike or large bass in heavy cover

Model 4 (Direct-drive or anti-reverse)
The perfect big-game reel, designed to handle the toughest task with an 11 to 12 weight line. An ideal choice for tough saltwater game fish like tarpon or permit, or the large freshwater fish like the king salmon or musky.

Notice the reel foot position

Jocelin
Old 01-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Gatti being from Italy, assuming the same as the rods...I will agree they are a work of art, and we all know what great art costs. But, worth every penny.
My choice, is the money in the stick and the line, reels are way down on the budget list. Don't get me wrong, I have the English Orvis, The Hardy, The Lamson Lite Speed and the Tibor Spring Creek. All great reels, but those Okuma's will do just fine also. For me, it is I worked for it, I deserve nice stuff....not into jewelry so the rod bling bling will do.
Now if we are Talking the Gatti Rod...I am all ears. LOL
Old 01-15-2008, 05:02 PM

burns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
Hey Burns
Ross has a limited edition "Reel in a Cure" Reel that may go good with your line and rod I saw one on the big auction site I think i was a Ross rythym.
I heard about those from a guy at a local shop, but the price is up there.

The wife got the Konic 2 days ago. It seems great to me but she hasn't taken it out yet.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:05 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Just a wild guess but I take it she is a survivor? Me and the company i own are big sponsor of relay for life ( for very good reasons). i saw #23 of #100 purple ross "reel in a cure" was up to $195 last time i looked. I hate to even see that stuff on ebay they were put out to raise money for a very worthy cause but capitalism has turned them into collectors items atleast some money went to a good cause initially. I do like Ross Reels the CLA'S are lower end but very worthy and they are supporters (probally for good reason). Boy this thread really got off track.
Tight Lines
Jim