The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lamson Konic

You are well with your rights. And as you say you don't need high end stuff to catch fish. I for one think nothing bad or anything else of you for your feelings. You are a Fly Fisherman.

You can get from point A to point B on a Harley or a moped, it is just how you choose to do it.

I think of mine as tools of the trade. You can be a mechanic using
screwdrivers and a wrench or you can use full set sockets, impact tools, ect. Both are going to get the job done, but which is easier.

The resale value does step in on the upper end gear however, I am sure most don't think about that when buying equipment.
I personally do, and think of them as investments. But Fly Fishing is my trade.

I can't label it as you say "nothing more than ostentious display of wealth"
but as a personal choice. Nothing wrong with wanting NICE FUNCTIONAL equipment.

It is just as easy to look up at someone as it is down.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:29 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Is it me that sees $100 plus fly reels as nothing more than ostentious display of wealth? I can neither afford or want to spend that kind of money for a line holder. I have never fought a fish in my life (69+ years) with a fly reel.
Sorry, I do mean to sound like I am better than thou, just do not understand the forced expense of fly fishing and what it has become. I caught as many trout with my grandfather's Shakespeare bamboo rod and a J.C. Higgins reel as I ever have with much more expensive equipment.
Now that's one of the most elitist post's I've ever read in a long time. We have a guy here that's basically turning up his nose and thinking he's better than someone who fishes with an expensive outfit (re. reel). He doesn't mean to sound better than thou. Guess what Cowboy. It sure comes off that way. Fish with whatever you want to. I'll fish with whatever I want to. What does it matter in the grand scheme of things. Does it bother you to see someone fish with better gear? Apparently it does.
I don't bust my hump 50-60+ hours a week to listen to chumps try to explain why they can't afford something and then put those down that can.
I'm extremely happy for you that you can catch plenty of trout with grandpa's bamboo rod and JC Higgins reel. And you really want to know something elso. I really don't give a $h1t.
Neither do most fly fishers.
Oh and BTW, one of my pet peeve's is people who don't think they're holier than thou, tell us that they're not holier than thou and write a post like yours. Has it become a badge of honor the past few years to be a cheap s.o.b.?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:14 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Is it me that sees $100 plus fly reels as nothing more than ostentious display of wealth? I can neither afford or want to spend that kind of money for a line holder. I have never fought a fish in my life (69+ years) with a fly reel.
Sorry, I do mean to sound like I am better than thou, just do not understand the forced expense of fly fishing and what it has become. I caught as many trout with my grandfather's Shakespeare bamboo rod and a J.C. Higgins reel as I ever have with much more expensive equipment.
At a good friend's urging I tried flyfishing back in 1979 and could not fathom the cost of a $200-300 flyrod either. I struggled with the lingo, the casts, and the equipment. One thing puzzling was how I caught bigger trout more often with flies rather than with spinners or worms on spinning tackle. There is a bigger challenge to this discipline. Is is wrong or ostentatious for me to use a Craftsman vs. a Harbor Freight monkey wrench if I can now afford it? Fishing is fun be it with spinning or fly tackle, I just got grossed out using bait and bored waiting. I'd rather get a small workout flyfishing rather than sitting by the shore drinking a brew and waiting.
Run What Ya Brung...