The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default New Bauer Fly Reel

Hi to all,

Bauer is out with a new style of reel that is interesting. The spool has what they call a "V" arbor. You can see in the picture that the spool is not flat on the bottom but is angled forming a "V". It seems like a gimmick but on second thought it may be a good idea. It gives more area to store backing and still keeps the large arbor advantages. It has a standard draw-bar drag knob instead of the star type drag knob on some of their reels. Like all of their reels they are bar-stock machined. There reels would be good for saltwater or big fish fresh water.

What do you think? Is this new design a revelation or a gimmick?

Frank

I almost forgot. The picture of the stream is from the Bauer site. Isn't that a great picture.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is what Bauer has to say about the reel.

With over a decade of leadership and innovation in large arbor fly reel design, Bauer is proud to introduce the all new Rogue. The Rogue features the new technology of their Carbon Fiber Composite disc drag and V-Abor design. The patented, Bauer seamless engagement carbon fiber drag system is sealed during use, yet serviceable when required. The drag system delivers silky smooth, big-fish landing performance, in all conditions.

The distinctive Rogue V-Arbor design enhances the performance advantages of the large arbor fly reel. The V-Arbor design maintains a larger effective diameter for the portion of the fly line and backing that is actually used when fishing. The balance of the backing is stored in the V bottom of the arbor, always available if needed. The light weight Rogue is a more effective tool for both fishing and landing all species of fish.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:48 PM

Silver Doc is on a distinguished road
Re: New Bauer Fly Reel

Good info. And what a lovely photo. Frank
Old 09-21-2007, 11:54 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Bauer Fly Reel

Frank... My initial reaction is that it is an interesting idea and that the reel falls between a large arbor and a mid arbor reel. What I don't know is how the unusual shape will affect how the line lays down when one reels up under tension if a fish gets into the backing.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:04 AM

Branden is on a distinguished road

Hasn't Loop had reels with this style spool for quite some time?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonStreams View Post
Frank... My initial reaction is that it is an interesting idea and that the reel falls between a large arbor and a mid arbor reel. What I don't know is how the unusual shape will affect how the line lays down when one reels up under tension if a fish gets into the backing.
OregonStreams, that is a good point. I would think that the angled area would feed the like to the side of the reel. It might have a tendency to pile up against that side but it may not. I would hope that they have tested this concept to some length.

Frank
Old 09-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branden View Post
Hasn't Loop had reels with this style spool for quite some time?
Hi Branden,

I don't remember Loop having this style of spool. They have made a lot of changes over the years and today's reels are nothing like the original Loop reels. I looked at their web site and it doesn't show a reel with this style of spool.

Frank
Old 09-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Branden is on a distinguished road

Opti Series
Old 09-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Branden,

Thanks for the pictures. After seeing your picture I do remember seeing that "V" shaped spool. Do you own a Loop reel? I never liked the early models with the little wheels and just kind of ignored them ever since. Maybe I should pay them more attention.

Frank
Old 09-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Lamson's top of the line reels have a concept that is similar to this and a combination of Abel's different spools for different lines concept. For these reels The ULA Force# there is the choice of the size 2, or the size 2x. (also 3 or 3x) The regular one is a flat bottomed arbor large arbor spool, and the x version has a scooped out channel in the middle of the arbor for added capacity. Theirs isn't a v shape, its more of a cross section of a WW1 helmet or offering plate type profile.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.