The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 10:58 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Type of Drag?

Can anyone explain to me what type of drag this reel has? It is an Orvis DXR 7/8. I can see the clicker, but I don't know what technical term to use to describe the simple drag system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9200004.jpg (46.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P9200005.jpg (37.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Type of Drag?

That is actually a disc drag, though a simple and sorta wimpy form. (should work fine for most all trout, bass or panfish, but I wouldn't dare use it on steelhead, salmon, or bonefish)

The lever/knob on the outside controls how much pressure with which the shiny disc is pressing against the white plastic pads. (looks like teflon) Be sure to keep it clean, especially free from grit. A little sand in between that shiny disc and the teflon pads could cause big problems.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi OregonStreams,

Cliff is right is saying it is a disc drag. I would call it a "Gear Drag" or a "Gear Disc Drag". It is confusing to call it a disc drag as that indicates it has a much better drag than it has. It in fact uses a small disc for the breaking but it also uses gearing. A lot of manufactures have called these disc drags so people think they are getting a super drag. The true large diameter disc drag and a caliper drag is much superior to the drag in this reel. The picture shows a true disc drag in an Abel reel.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:16 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

While I'm not sure on Bonefish I would have to respectfully disagree on Steelhead and Salmon. I used an Orvis DXR for years as my main Salmon Steelhead reel in the Great Lakes and landed hundreds of fish with it. I sold the same reel to a friend whose still using it. That reel was made for Orvis by Lamson, and the machining is pretty good. Those drags have one structural flaw. The teflon pads can take a "set". It is important that you store the reel with the drag set all the way off. If not, Orvis service can replace the pads for you. They are not at the level of a Tibor, Abel or a Hardy Zane but they are a fine drag for most applications. I would be the first to admit that while they were a good value at the time, their are now far better choices on the market in the same price range.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think some DXR's had a different drag.

Nonetheless, your advice about backing off the drag is a universally good idea. No matter what the drag is made of, this is a good habit to get into.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:38 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone that replied. The drag does look amazingly similar to my old lamson 6 wt. reel that I gave to my son. I seem to have collected all types of assorted fly fishing gear over the years and cannot remember how I came upon this reel!