The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Help with picking a reel

konic 2 or 5/6 alpha. have both, love both.
warranty for lammy>solid...warranty for allen>solid
allen reel is machined, lammy not. drag- close, but got to give it to lammy.
apperance >> alpha is a nice clear aluminum, konic has a textured gray finish.
i'll take one more of each please

casey

ARFE
Old 03-15-2012, 11:31 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyva21 View Post
I have looked at Allen reels and they look nice but found a post stating concerns about how long they may be around to deal with warranty issues which is why I looked a Orvis. If I am going to spend that much I want to make sure I can get help in the long run.

What about Ross fly start?
It's hard to beat these new Orvis reels; they have the same drag units as the reels that cost twice as much; it's an inline disc drag which is strong and very smooth. The only difference is that the reel is not machined, it is cast aluminum. That makes it a bit heavier, and some say a bit less durable. It is a very solid reel though. I've had to send 3 items into ORVIS (a reel, a fly line, and a gear bag) and never had a problem. The reel was fixed at no charge, and the line and gear bags were replaced with the the current model at no charge. Stash you reciept away somewhere and they will be more than happy to stand behind their product.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:56 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Flyva 21.
You won't go wrong with any Allen Reel I have 3 of them,2 early models & a Model II,I have caught large Browns & Rainbows on the Model II & I find it equally as good as any of the other Top Quality Reels I have.
Also their service can't be faulted as I lost The Rear Cover & was sent a free replacement .
Brian
Old 04-21-2012, 02:31 AM

sinc will become famous soon enough

For lightweight it hard to beat the Hardy Ultralite CC reels. Don't overlook them. I have one, and it's great.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:45 AM

fisher46 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Help with picking a reel

bass pro white river reels
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Cabelas has the Wind River reel on sale for $19.99. I havnt used one yet, but it gets good reviews. I plan on buying one in the near future. That leaves you more $$ for decent fly line and should keep you under you budget and get you some leader, tippet and a handfull of flies.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 AM
sbreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
Cabelas has the Wind River reel on sale for $19.99. I havnt used one yet, but it gets good reviews. I plan on buying one in the near future. That leaves you more $$ for decent fly line and should keep you under you budget and get you some leader, tippet and a handfull of flies.
I'd agree with that. A good fly line is more important to successfully fishing inland waters with non-huge fish than an expensive fly reel. The reel basically holds the line, and for 99.9% of the fish out there, a drag is not necessary on a fly reel - just learn to palm the reel to apply resistance and use the rod angle for varying resistance - but then again, i'm old school and tend to like the traditional methods to be close to nature.

That being said, I DO have reels with drags, and all of the ones that I had in the past have been upgraded to sealed-drag, US made models (nautilus & hatch) that are between $250-$400. Necessary price? No. BUT, superior reels that will last a lifetime and you can really admire the craftsmanship.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:53 AM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough

+1 for the "Lamson Konic) but, you are over the 100.00 budget.
It's worth it.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say buy an Okuma SLV for $50, and spend the rest on a good line. CLICK HERE. Being new to fly fishing, it's likely that you'll begin to find all the different products/manufacturers, and also begin to tweak your needs to match the type of fly fishing you will grow into. An inexpensive and serviceable reel now can become a back-up next year. I've used SLV's as main reels and back-ups for much more expensive reels for nearly 10 years.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:30 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

go with the Allen reel. the Trout 2 in red is the deal of the week and would match the red on the redfly 2 rod. If you you have a question or concern about Allen Fly Fishing products it is the owner who will answer, not some person sitting at a desk because a giant company pays him to sit there and answers phones. The phone number on his website is his personal phone number. Everyone who works for Allen Fly Fishing actually fly fish and use the products. They are machined reels at a VERY reasonable price(the rods are top notch also). I own 4 production Allen reels and a couple prototypes and love them all. Go with the Allen reel, you wont be disapointed.