The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 06:05 PM

flyva21 is on a distinguished road
Default Help with picking a reel

Always wanted to learn how to fly fish. Picked up a Redington redfly2 9' 6w the other day for about $50. Seemed like a good deal and from what I have read it was about the size that is recommended for beginners. Now I need a reel to go with it. I want something that will last a while but not cost an arm and a leg, something around $100. My rod is really light so I am guessing the reel needs to be light as well? The only things I can find locally are Ross and Cabelas brand. Thinking about getting the Orvis clearwater LA II. Any advice on how to choose a reel would be helpful.

Last edited by flyva21; 03-15-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help with picking a reel

You should have no trouble finding a decent reel for that money. Personally, I'd check out Okuma Sierras. You can get one for about $50. They have a decent and smooth drag and the ones I have held up for years so far. Just keep it clean and maintained. The finish chips pretty easily, which is my only criticism. I'd invest the other $50 or so in a good fly line which will make learning to cast far less frustrating. Avoid the cheap lines.

The 9' 6wt rod is a good place to start IMHO. About the only place it would not serve well is on tiny, brush-lined streams.

Welcome to the benign addiction.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Pick up a 1494 Medalist or a Cortland Rim Fly off of Ebay or most any of those types of Rim Fly reels, usualy made in England, last long time, does the job and the cost plus shipping should be under $35 or so.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum and to the art/sport/hobby/addiction of fly fishing! Don't forget as was above mentioned that there are quite a few hidden costs with fly fishing, one of them being the line which will run you at least 35-40 for a decent line. Leaders are $7 for a 2 pack, tippet is $3 a spool, and oh yeah...the flies that you will lose when you are just starting out; 3 or 4 per trip sometimes at a couple dollars each (fly shop prices). So take that into consideration before making all of your purchases.

If you have considered all of that already, $100 will get you quite a nice reel. It will get you top-notch if you go used on e-bay. If you use e-bay that is your best bet, just do a little research and make sure you get a decent deal. Used gear can usually be had for close to half of new price. If you don't want to do used, you should keep your eyes opened for closeout items. Fly reels are like cars, when the 2012 models are replaced with a "better" one the old models go on sale 30% off or more. I can't think of anything on closeout right now, but browse the web for a while, something might come up.

If you want the easy route; the Clearwater is a good value priced reel at $80. There's a chance that Allen might still have their machined aluminum large arbor reels on clearance for 80 which might be a tad better.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM

Thanks guys,

Found a new in box medalist on ebay but couldn't find one anywhere else. Are the medalist something you should be able to still find new? If these are good I cannot complain about the price.

I have been looking at line and think I am going to have to cut back on what I was planning on spending for a reel. Seems like line might be the more important thing to splurge a little on.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

They still make them last I knew and another great reel for the bucks is at Walmart where you can get a Martin with backing for udner $30.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

3 that come to mind are
1. allen alpha 5/6
2. lamson konic 2
3. g. loomis venture 5

ARFE
Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

+1 for the Allen Alpha 5/6! IMO You will not be disappointed.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

In the 5/6 weight range, I use an Allen Trout reel. Smooth drag, good line pick-up, and cool colors to boot. Plus they're pretty darn durable and have a great warranty and will run you right around 100 dollars at full price. I've definitely thought about picking up Lamsons, but currently I am set in the 5/6wt category. The Lamson Litespeed has definitely caught my eye, but it's a bit too pricey for me currently, and I've never had a reason to switch from the Allen gear I buy.
mi_trouter likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-15-2012, 10:06 PM

I have looked at Allen reels and they look nice but found a post stating concerns about how long they may be around to deal with warranty issues which is why I looked a Orvis. If I am going to spend that much I want to make sure I can get help in the long run.

What about Ross fly start?