The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 PM

basshole is on a distinguished road
Default Greys GRXi+ reel or something else?

I am fairly new to fly fishing, i have caught a few trout on a fly but nothing special and I can cast decent enough for my needs. However, when it comes to the knowledge of what gear is worth anything and how to match said gear together, im pretty useless.

Right now i am trying to put together a decent large water bass and maybe redfish ( one or two trips a year) rig. I just picked up a Powell AXS 9ft 8wt (which i hope is ok), and i am looking for a reel to put on it. I have found a Greys GRXi+ 9/10 wt reel with four spools on closeout. I am wondering if this is a decent reel or if there is something else out there i should be looking at for under $100. Also, i know the Greys is not recommended for saltwater use, but will one or two trips a year really warm the reel. Thanks for reading my long and drawn out post and any help is greatly appreciated. I will be posting a few questions in the line forum later as well. Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Greys GRXi+ reel or something else?

Welcome to the forum,

I don't really know that any of my reels are supposed to be salt reels but many have been used in our bays here and I see no harm at all to them. I don't dunk them I just use them as I do on fresh water. For the money the Greys may be the ticket but I would wonder what I'd do with the 4 spools...............

Many mmembers here use Allen Reels, Allen is a sponcer here and they are listed in our business classified forum I'll link you...............

Allen Fly Fishing

Good luck and keep posting any questions you have, a 9/10 will be fine size wise.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2012, 01:41 PM

basshole is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. Im also not really sure what i would do with the four spools either, it just seemed like a good deal to me. I figured i would probably just have one spool with floating line and one with sinking.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I have the GRXi in the 5/6 wt size. The extra spools are nice, considering they are plastic. I keep a sink tip line on one, floating on the other (lost the other two in a fire). I just caught a 25-26" carp with it, also caught a 24" brown with it, many large mouth bass. It has stood up to 2+ years of heavy use with no maintenance other than wiping some grit out.
I have not used the 9/10wt, but I figure for the cost you can't go wrong.