The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Marking a Reel or Spool

It is great that SA, following Cortland's lead, is permanently marking their new lines with the line model and size. I have line stickers that have long come with line packaging on the inside of the spool of some older reels that have remaind afixed for years but some inexplicably fall off too. I am not a fan of sticking stuff on my reels and have not been doing it since I became digitized. I am prepairing for a 10 day trip in a bit more than a week and have a dozen reels with varied colored lines on my coffee table. Besides my Reel-Line Log, on the cases that have a clear window Abel style, I insert a piece of paper with my name, cell and line model/size with date mounted.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Come to think about it, riptides idea of using thick and thin lines is pretty good.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Lots of good ideas here for sure. I don't know how I do it but I know what is on my reels and don't have any marked. Lines that are not spooled (stored in a box) are the ones I need to label.

The sticker thing has two drawbacks, one is that with a reel having close tolerances in the machining placing a sticker on the back of a spool will bind the reels action. The second arises when people stick them on the back plate of a reel, almost every reels finish will fade over time from exposure to UV radiation and ozone. When there is a sticker on the finish that area under the sticker will be protected from the environmental degradation of the finish. What you can end up with is a reel that has an almost permanent discoloration where the uneven finish is found when you finally remove the sticker.

I have seen some great reels that I wanted to buy but if they had this round or oval spot where the finish was still as new while the rest of the reel had taken on the patina of a 40+ year old reel I always passed.

So, stickers = don't do it. Anything but a sticker on the body of your reel.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;