The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Collectors

I had a bit of time today (one of my classes was out on a field trip with another teacher). I will stand by my estimate on the manufacture time. It is listed in the 1914 Julius vom Hofe product catalog, so i would definitely put the date between 1910 and 1915. What you have is a "Trout Click Reel" in size 105, or better known as simply a size 5. as with many fly fishing sizes, the numbers are opposite of common thought. The size 5 was the smallest reel of that model, and the size 1 was the largest, with the diameter range being from 2 inches up to 3 inches. It was a direct drive, and the click could be disabled if the fisherman chose. The original price of the reel was $1.40! that places it at about 10% of the cost of his brothers average reel of similar style. The metal work is Nickel plated brass, so be careful if you choose to clean it. On the handle plate the size should be marked.

One thing is a bit odd. All the xamples I could find reference too had a black rubber handle. I can only assume one of two things: The white handle (plastic? Ivory?...) was an optional upgrade, or the handle was replaced at some later date. Very tough to tell. Now for the big question....value.

Similar reels, all of the same model in differing sizes, have been sold on the Lang's Auction site over the past years...I went back as far as 2006. The prices varied from $85 to $550. Condition seemed to be the main determiner of those values. Of course, especially with auctions, an item is only worth what the bidders are willing to pay.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

The handle is actually a light wood of some sort looks to have been done on a lathe or by hand? The reel foot has a 5 stamped on it.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Good. I love verification! The five is the size, short for 105. Interesting on the handle. Unfortunatately as with all antiques, collectors want the original configuration, so it will not help the value. Like I said earlier, I have never seen prices fior old reels this high before. You may blow the doors off the estimate! Good luck!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.