The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 06:37 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Collectors

Any antique fly reel collectors here? Looking for a value on a Jullius Vom Hoffe reel.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Collectors

Gonna have to post some pics to get anyones attention!

Dave
Old 03-28-2012, 02:47 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Scroll down... there was a vom Hofe thread a couple weeks ago. There's also a good read about the vom Hofe's in the IGFA Hall of Fame under Edward's induction, in the museum section. milt.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Jay,

Are you buying or selling one of these? Our member 'mrfzx' is our Vom Hofe information source here, a PM to him will get your answer.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-28-2012, 05:17 PM

Thanks Ard. Looking to maybe sell. I sent mrfzx a pm. Here are some pics.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I PM'ed you, and am looking forward to more details. Very difficult without the reel in hand....

When people see the "vom Hofe" name the assume that they are all lumped together and very collectable. Julius was Edwards younger brother (I am pretty sure about this...). Where Edward concentrated on hand-made reels with careful craftsmanship, Julius was more of a mass marketer.

Julius produced reels that were much more affordable, but of lesser quality. Virtually all Edward vom Hofe fly reels are very expensive and collectable (his saltwater big game reels do not demand as high of values). Julius vom Hofe's are not nearly as valuable, with a few exceptions. As with all antiques and collectables, the rarer the item the more valuable it is. Usually, if it was expensive and higher quality when new, it is more expensive as an antique.

I have seen Juius' go for as little as $30, and as high as $1500, depending on model, condition, etc..

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Seems vom Hofes have such varied values and I guess it depends on the collector. I own three Edward vom Hofes and have been offered $50 , $800, and $1500 for the same reel. Think I'll just hold on to them . Like the look of the German Silver looks nice on the shelf.
Most Edwards I've seen in one place was at World Wide Sportsman in Islamorada. Whole display case full as you walk in the door. Nice!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-29-2012, 01:42 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I've never seen prices as high as they are now.....not sure exactly why. German silver (which is Nickel) was a great material to use. Impervious to the elements, hard, but heavy. It does gleem very nicely when buffed!

The hard rubber panels that were most commonly used may have been tough when new, but age makes it brittle. Be extra careful when tightening screws on the old girls.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

I've seen several still in use. Made me cringe to think of an accidental tumble on the rocks!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 PM

More info sent via Pm. I take it you mean by hard Plastic/rubber as Bakelite?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 AM

more or less. Wth the vom Hofe's, Zwarg's, and Walker's, it is always described as "hard rubber".