The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 05:43 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Lamson Litespeed 1 for 6'6" rod

Is this reel to big for a orvis superfine touch 6'6" 3 wt what do you think? it is light just seems bulky to me but love the reel.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:23 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lamson Litespeed 1 for 6'6" rod

I am a big fan of the Litespeed reels, I have a 3.5 for my 8WT rod & it is terrific with that rod. For my 7'6" Orvis Superfine 4wt...I chose an Orvis CFO. In my humble opinion, the CFO or another 'traditional' looking reel suits the look and purpose of the Superfine rods. The CFO also balances the rod well, something about that narrow - deep spool just looks better with these lighter rods.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

For my 1WT I use Ross Evolution 0 (last model, not the LT) . I love it because I have a spare spool with WF3W on it so I pack 2 rods / 1 Reel / 1 extra Spool when I hike in to small streams. If the wind picks up, I simply rig up the 3wt

On topic I have the Litespeed and it tends to balance my heavier rods better.Rods lke the TXl or the Superfine you have tend to feel better with super light reels.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 AM

dave t is on a distinguished road

I have a 6'6" TT rod with an old Hardy flyweight reel on it. The reel is very light, and at the time, it was the only reel that would balance the rod fairly well.

If you are looking for a quality reel that has a disk type drag, the Litespeed #1 is about as light as you are going to find. However, I agree, the 3.25 diameter might look a bit out of place on that small rod. On the other hand, you can probably find a smaller, lighter click & pawl reel that balances the rod better, and looks like it fits the rod.

Good Luck
Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Here is a comparison of light reels for a superfine..

Light reel comparo
Old 04-01-2012, 01:54 PM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

The Litespeed is awesome, enough said... Plus, with extra spools, you can use that on several other rods due to the exceptional drag system.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 AM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road

I have a sage click 3 and love it. I use it on my txl-f 3wt 6' 10" rod. It is a perfect marriage with the double taper line.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

No, it's not too big.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Mysticm about going with the classic style reel. It just looks right. The smallest Orvis CFO would be the right fit.

As for other alternatives, the link that Mysticm put up is a good read.

Dennis
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Here's what a (non-Hard Alox) Litespeed 1 looks like on a 5'9" 3wt.

Click the image to open in full size.

Works for me.