The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 PM

bluedunn is on a distinguished road
Default Reel Seat came loose! NEED TO FISH!

Fellow fisherman,
I have come to the fly fishing forum to present you with a problem. I can not fish- and it happened like this...
There I was in the midst of a decent spring hatch, latching onto some very lively rainbows. After landing a few too many, my reel seat comes loose. Yes I kept fishing with the reel in my left hand, but I can't do that forever.
I've tried regular types of glue to hold the seat but it seems that they can't stand the elements. WHAT DO I DO?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Reel Seat came loose! NEED TO FISH!

lightly sand all gluing surfaces of any residual products and use 5 minute epoxy.
my .02.

casey
williamhj likes this.

ARFE
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

J-B Weld. J-B Weld Company - Products Overview

If that doesn't work, then a hand-retrieve and a stripping basket????
mrfzx likes this.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 04-03-2012, 10:53 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Like Casey said, sand everything just enough so you can get it together smoothly - not loosely - I used 2 part 5 minute epoxy, coated the inside of the seat - position the seat - I did this for a similar probelm, no further issues.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedunn View Post
Fellow fisherman,
I have come to the fly fishing forum to present you with a problem. I can not fish- and it happened like this...
There I was in the midst of a decent spring hatch, latching onto some very lively rainbows. After landing a few too many, my reel seat comes loose. Yes I kept fishing with the reel in my left hand, but I can't do that forever.
I've tried regular types of glue to hold the seat but it seems that they can't stand the elements. WHAT DO I DO?
Hello, sometimes the screws are to short from the reelfoot to the frame. Not sure what reel you have or what mfg (lets keep the mfg. private since it might be a simple error)

If you want. Please send me an email at allenflyfishing@yahoo.com and I'll send you one of ours with some new screws. Maybe it might help and get you back on the water.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 12:41 AM

physiognomy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedunn View Post
... WHAT DO I DO?
Without trying to sound sarcastic, maybe its time for a new reel? There are many affordable options out there that will stay put on your rod.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by physiognomy View Post
Without trying to sound sarcastic, maybe its time for a new reel? There are many affordable options out there that will stay put on your rod.
I think he said reel seat not foot. Specify the location of your trouble, and post a photo if possible. I would also like to welcome you to the forum bluedunn. I am also shocked that with 31,000 members you got that user name. Way to go! How did every one of the thousands of Trout chasers on this forum manage to miss that name? I have by the way done a lot of rod repair. If I can see what is going on for sure, I can tell you how to fix it.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Everyone,

I was under the impression it was a reel seat also but missed the fact that this was a first post. So.................Welcome to the forum.

Dan, we have a 'BlueDun', they are spelled differently.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 AM

physiognomy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I think he said reel seat not foot...
Good catch... Note to self, no typing late at night.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:45 PM

bluedunn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I think he said reel seat not foot. Specify the location of your trouble, and post a photo if possible. I would also like to welcome you to the forum bluedunn. I am also shocked that with 31,000 members you got that user name. Way to go! How did every one of the thousands of Trout chasers on this forum manage to miss that name? I have by the way done a lot of rod repair. If I can see what is going on for sure, I can tell you how to fix it.
Thanks all for the advice! I'll try to get the old glue sanded down an put a good layer of apoxy down.
I'm glad I found this forum! -though I think I will spend far too much time on here.. Thanks for the welcome and fast response!