The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Ross CLA

Hi Racine,

I am with you on the clicker. I don't like any reel with an incoming clicker. Next time you are in the market for a reel take a look at the Galvan reels. These are bar-stock reels made in the US. The Open Back is my favorite Trout reel. They are not quite as lite as the Ross but the drag is perfect and the quality is definitely there. No out going click on these reels.

Frank
Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

You would think that they would make the clicker switchable or removable they would probally sell more.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:42 PM

bcbrown2 is on a distinguished road

Howdy all! First time posting in this forum.

I fish the CLA 1 on my 3wt and love it. For the extra $15 over a Cimarron I've been very happy. It's strong, solid, made in-state (I'm in CO) and the warranty support from what I've read is fantastic. For a reel that small in the streams I fish my 3wt I hardly ever have to tighten the drag past a few clicks beyond free-spin but it's both strong and smooth.

Personally, I don't mind the clicker working both directions. It was a bit strange at first (coming off a Redington SV) but call me weird 'cuz I've actually come to like the sound over this season. For the price (they are a bit spendy but reasonable for a machined reel) I think they're a buy-it-once type of purchase and I plan on picking up another CLA when I replace the 5wt system I donate to a local TU chapter.

Interestingly, I had a guide on the Green River (Dutch John) mention to me that the preference for click-on-retrieve in his view seemed to be a regional thing for most folks and that's been the only real single complaint I've heard about the reel itself.

-Cheers!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:37 PM

think trout is on a distinguished road

Personally, I love the clicker. So does my wife. That's one of the main reasons we purchased them. An online fly shop stated they passed the Chinook Salmon test.

Last edited by think trout; 11-26-2014 at 10:11 PM.