The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Ross CLA (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/2639-ross-cla.html)

CTR0022 10-24-2007 06:21 PM

Ross CLA

What do yall think about this reel? I am looking for a new reel for a 5 weight. it will be used for trout/salmon/steelhead.

Thanks
Casey

Frank Whiton 10-24-2007 07:41 PM

Re: Ross CLA

Hi Casey,

I have posted a picture of the ROSS CLA so everyone will know what you are asking about. I don't know anything about this paticular reel. One thing I don't like about ROSS reels is the in-coming click. I don't want any reel with an in-coming click. I don't know that this reel has an in-coming click but most of their reels do.

Frank

CTR0022 10-24-2007 09:14 PM

Frank thats the one.
It does have the incoming click. I like it.
I'm just looking for some real user reviews from this real

BigCliff 10-25-2007 01:32 PM

Never had this particular model, but I'll say that Ross is the best value out there in a reel that will last for years.

However, if you're looking for a 5wt reel that can handle salmon, I'd look into the hot rods on the market: Nautilus, Abel, Tibor, and Waterworks come to mind.

bonefish41 10-25-2007 03:49 PM

You can impose additional drag by the in hand method...however, big sal and steel you might look for the old model ross big canyon it has a genuine big game drag and these old models are discounted...however, you are using a five wt rod and I do not know if you can use it or abuse it as one would a saltwater 10,11, or 12 wt5 with 12,16, or 20 lb tippett if so then a hot rod big game reel but if not then the CLA with additional in hand drag would be sufficient

Frank Whiton 10-25-2007 07:17 PM

Casey,

Somehow I missed you wanted a 5wt for Salmon/Steelhead. You didn't ask but a 5wt is not a good choice for Salmon/Steelhead. You need to move up to at least a 7wt and I would prefer an 8wt. You can land a 15lb Steelhead or Salmon on a 5wt but you won't have much control of the fish. The big problem is you can't cast the big heavy flies you need for these fish. You will be limited in the wind and it will just not be fun. It is simply a matter of using the right tool for the job.

Frank

CTR0022 10-29-2007 08:21 AM

right i know a 5 weight is to light for salmon and stealhead. i was going to get a CLA 3, it would be a large real for a 5 weight, but a small reel for a 7 weight. i am going to mostly use it for trout fishing with a 5 weight, but when i go salmon/stealhead fish i was going to put 7 weight line on it. i just want to make sure this reel is up for salmon/steelhead.
i just want to here some testimonies from a avid flyfisher who has used this reel for several seasons.
Thanks for all your replies.

tie one on 10-29-2007 10:26 AM

Ross are awesome reels.
I own two of their reels.

I have a Cimmaron CLA on my Sage FLi 4wt rod & a Cimmaron on my 5wt Scott Voyager.

I purchased mine not only because they work good, but the warranty to
me was a purchasing factor as well.

I do not think you'll do wrong buying one.

Tie One On

racine 01-17-2008 09:08 PM

I sold my Cimarron because I could not stand the sound of it's clicker. It drove me nuts, don't know why, it just did. Even after changing the clicker for an improved one it still was annoying. It was a good reel and functioned well enough though I didn't appreciate the loose tolerances of the spool and spindle on my 4 wt. I traded up to a Lamson Velocity and have been much less distracted by it's own sound. I bought a Canyon reel a few years later but then traded that in when I realized the spindle was brass. I know I have a problem with noise because when I tried a Bauer I was floored. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Ross at all just personal preference. The Ross is a good reel nevertheless...

jimw 01-18-2008 08:35 AM

I have 2 of these reels and have not had any trouble with them, the clicker (the get the camera alarm) is not that loud. They drag is smooth and reliable. They have a great warranty and are American made. I would buy another.I have the #4 on a 9wt it gets heavy saltwater usage and no problems at all. I also have the #2 that is new on a new 5wt Sage FLI that i keep staring at and can't wait to try. C'mon spring time