The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road
Default Hardy flyweight 101--basic question

Thanks in advance for your help/feedback.

I am looking for a reel for my Scott G2 3wt and think I've settled on a Hardy flyweight. Basically, I like the look of the reel, the simplicity, and positive comments from many on this forum regarding Hardy. I'm not partial to vintage vs new, I just want one. Vintage would certainly be a nice to have and eventually pass down in the family (hoping that at least one of my two daughters eventually catches on to the this terrific sport).

I don't know enough about Hardy history to be able to ask intelligent questions regarding vintage vs new. So, I'll just ask whether you think the following link is a reasonable price for this reel.

I typically see them for ~$225 USD. Not exactly why this one is $179 other than the overstock claim. These reels really seem to hold their value and I don't see them for "reduced" prices. Just want to make sure I'm not buying something that doesn't seem quite right.

Otherwise, I'll just keep an eye out on ebay.

-Paul
Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hardy flyweight 101--basic question

Hi Paul,

I will tell you what I know about the Flyweight. I had one back in the 90's, it was a beauty probably a mid seventies reel. I wanted to use it on my 6'6" bamboo flea and it was actually too small. I then figured to use it with a St. Croix Legend Ultra 7' 3 weight that I bought just for that old Hardy Flyweight and................. the reel seemed too small

When I say too small I mean that the reel was so light that either of the tiny rods I tried to match up to it ended up tip heavy. Another thing was the reel just did not look right on the rods. It looked like a toy fly reel, it was a Hardy but it was a tiny Hardy.

So, I kept the Flyweight in its box for about another 15 years and then sold it. What I use on my flea is a Featherweight. Just the right size for 3 - 4 weight rods or even a Superfine #5. The Featherweight has a functional drag as opposed to the spring check of the Flyweight also. The Featherweight will hold a DT 3 and about 50 yards of 20 pound backing to help enlarge the arbor size for a quicker retrieve also. The little Flyweight was so tiny that trying to reel up slack line to get a fish on the reel made you feel like King Kong working a fly reel..........

I would point you toward a vintage Featherweight in mint shape if you can swing the cost. One like I'm talking about can be had for 275 - 325 depending on who is bidding. The old Made in England Featherweights 'Will' hold their value and will increase in value as the years pass. One of the new bar stock south Korean models will not hold value like a Brit reel.

Featherweight, vintage pure 1985 in the cream and blue case or the black case. This should balance your rod fine, and you can catch big fish with them. I play all my fish off my reels no matter which reel I'm using. The Featherweight will land some big fish and with 50 - 60 yards of backing you can do wonders with one.

Ard

PS. Just last fall while trout fishing I caught somewhere around 40 salmon using my Featherweight on my old Far & Fine rod. I got fish that had just begun to turn all the way up to pure brilliant red. I had never taken a picture of a ripe salmon before but when I went to let the big red one go I realized how beautiful the color was. So....I slid him up onto the pea gravel and snapped the picture. Then he sprinted away, I would not say you couldn't do it with a Flyweight but I wouldn't want to. The pictures are simply to demonstrate that the Featherweight will handle big fish. I've landed every species of salmon except king with the reel, that includes Atlantic and land Locked Atlantic too. Can you tell I like my old reel? Durability wise; I bought the reel in 1979 and have never had an issue with it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 AM

pl4a is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ard, you convinced me to go for a featherweight instead of a flyweight. I was initially put off of featherweight b/c it seemed to be indicated for 4/5/6 wt rods and I thought it wouldn' work well for 3 wt.

Many more featherweights than flyweights available through auction, so I'll start looking. Thanks.

-Paul
Old 04-11-2012, 12:49 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Paul,

I will tell you what I know about the Flyweight. I had one back in the 90's, it was a beauty probably a mid seventies reel. I wanted to use it on my 6'6" bamboo flea and it was actually too small. I then figured to use it with a St. Croix Legend Ultra 7' 3 weight that I bought just for that old Hardy Flyweight and................. the reel seemed too small

When I say too small I mean that the reel was so light that either of the tiny rods I tried to match up to it ended up tip heavy. Another thing was the reel just did not look right on the rods. It looked like a toy fly reel, it was a Hardy but it was a tiny Hardy.

So, I kept the Flyweight in its box for about another 15 years and then sold it. What I use on my flea is a Featherweight. Just the right size for 3 - 4 weight rods or even a Superfine #5. The Featherweight has a functional drag as opposed to the spring check of the Flyweight also. The Featherweight will hold a DT 3 and about 50 yards of 20 pound backing to help enlarge the arbor size for a quicker retrieve also. The little Flyweight was so tiny that trying to reel up slack line to get a fish on the reel made you feel like King Kong working a fly reel..........

I would point you toward a vintage Featherweight in mint shape if you can swing the cost. One like I'm talking about can be had for 275 - 325 depending on who is bidding. The old Made in England Featherweights 'Will' hold their value and will increase in value as the years pass. One of the new bar stock south Korean models will not hold value like a Brit reel.

Featherweight, vintage pure 1985 in the cream and blue case or the black case. This should balance your rod fine, and you can catch big fish with them. I play all my fish off my reels no matter which reel I'm using. The Featherweight will land some big fish and with 50 - 60 yards of backing you can do wonders with one.

Ard

PS. Just last fall while trout fishing I caught somewhere around 40 salmon using my Featherweight on my old Far & Fine rod. I got fish that had just begun to turn all the way up to pure brilliant red. I had never taken a picture of a ripe salmon before but when I went to let the big red one go I realized how beautiful the color was. So....I slid him up onto the pea gravel and snapped the picture. Then he sprinted away, I would not say you couldn't do it with a Flyweight but I wouldn't want to. The pictures are simply to demonstrate that the Featherweight will handle big fish. I've landed every species of salmon except king with the reel, that includes Atlantic and land Locked Atlantic too. Can you tell I like my old reel? Durability wise; I bought the reel in 1979 and have never had an issue with it.

Wow Ard, I thought it was impressive that I landed Coho's and Steelies on a Big Perfect, Bougle, Zenith or St. John. Catching AK Silvers in any kind of shape on a Featherweight is impressive. I did land a 20" MI Brown last year on a 40 year old perfect with a four weight Bamboo and a 6X tippet though.

And yes Paul, the Flyweight is 1-2 weight reel. Its a little Jewel though, but I find Featherwights and LRH's to be much more practical.