The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Opinions, please

With the exception of the Pflueger Medalist (which I am not discounting at all, but I know about them), what reasonably priced ($200 or less) reel would look proper on a 5wt bamboo flyrod?

Looking for something classic in design but with a decent drag.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Opinions, please

You want "decent" drag, or a top notch drag? There are many offset disc drags that are "decent", but the mechanics of them just aren't as performance oriented as a centerline drag system. I don't know of any classic looking centerline drag reels. The Orvis CFO Disc is just a CFO with an offset adjustable disc drag in an ugly (classic) green color. Then there's the new CFO which has an offset disc, it actually looks better IMO but it is made in china rather than the old green disc reels which are stamped "made in england" on the front.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:52 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Ausable,

Let me caveat the statement of "decent drag" with the fact that I'm balancing what I want with what I need (read: how often I will really use it). If money was no object, I'd have a fleet of Hatch and Abel reels.

I have a nice, classic looking reel on my 3wt bamboo, but it doesn't require a drag as it's a small stream rod (think brookies). For a 5wt, I'd use it on some bigger waters.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

If you want the classic look with a drag I'd go with a CFO disc, it looks like the new ones are brown, I like the green alot better. But If I was buying a reel for a bamboo it would either an Abel TR, Bauer MSL.5 with either a green or bronze spool(it just looks good on any rod I put it on, and has a butter smooth drag) or an older Hardy.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Ausable,

Let me caveat the statement of "decent drag" with the fact that I'm balancing what I want with what I need (read: how often I will really use it). If money was no object, I'd have a fleet of Hatch and Abel reels.

I have a nice, classic looking reel on my 3wt bamboo, but it doesn't require a drag as it's a small stream rod (think brookies). For a 5wt, I'd use it on some bigger waters.
I hear ya...though I picked up my dream reel (hatch 4) on e-bay for about half price...

IMO, and I think this is the typical thinking about the matter, a bamboo rod does not look right with a big gaudy wide/large arbor reel. It just isn't classic looking to have a Hatch or a Nautilus on your bamboo rod. I think the offset disc drags are fine, only marginally outperformed by the big cork or stacked disc drags in most situations. For hard running fish I would rather have a Hatch, but a CFO disc would only be a slight downgrade; not a serious performance difference.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I don't think Pflueger Medalists have a drag, just a click pawl.

I have several Okuma Sierra's, and would recommend them to anyone. Very good & smooth drag, nice looking reel & reasonable price.

Yep, made in China, but seems like most things are these days.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Ballan reels is offering 50% off all their reels in stock. They'll obviously look finest kind on cane and its a click and prawl drag thats stood the test of time.

Big Jim: Pflueger's have a drum brake stye drag only the early models had a click and prawl and they are getting more exspensive everytime I look for one.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I don't think Pflueger Medalists have a drag, just a click pawl.

I have several Okuma Sierra's, and would recommend them to anyone. Very good & smooth drag, nice looking reel & reasonable price.

Yep, made in China, but seems like most things are these days.
Actually the Pflueger's do have an adjustable drag; as simple a one as you can come up with ... and they're darned near bullet proof. But, and here's the rub (sorry, couldn't resist the bad pun) they're no longer being manufactured!

Pfluegar first came out with these reels in the early 1930's and the basic reel (and larger sizes), save for a rim control model, remained the same for close to 80 years.

Now that's some track record!!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:12 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Before I posted, I did a search, and all I saw was a clicker type drag on them, but I may have misinterpreted what I thought I saw too.

I have an old Medalist, one of the larger sizes you might put on a 7 or 8 wt, probably made back in the 60's and it has an adjustable drag, but I wasn't sure if they still made them that way or made the smaller ones like that. I don't think the one I have even has a counter balance on the spool. All other Medalist I've seen only had a clicker. I had a smaller one many years ago, but it was lost in a house fire. Guess I am getting old! Thanks for the info guys! Learned something today.

Shame when such a great product is discontinued. I guess everyone wants hi-tech these days!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:06 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I would be happier than a pig in...well you know, if Pflueger came back to Akron and rereleased the early style Medalists. A. I might actually get a job I like and B. well I'd have first dibs on them Sorry for the hijack there Axel.