The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 04:45 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Allen reels

I have read some of the reports on these reels. It seems every one likes them. I went on the web site to check them out. Looking for the Trout 1 for a 3wt. I have a G.loomis Trilogy 7'6" rod. Does anyone have experience with using this reel on a rod like this. Worried about balance as the reel is over 4oz if I remember correctly. And, If not a Allen what is a good choice. I am open to opinions.

Last edited by shimloom; 04-25-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Allen reels

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
I have read some of the reports on these reels. It seems every one likes them. I went on the web site to check them out. Looking for the Trout 1 for a 3wt. I have a G.loomis Trilogy 7'6" rod. Does anyone have experience with using this reel on a rod like this. Worried about balance as the reel is over 4oz if I remember correctly.
I have to be honest, these reels are impressive FOR THE MONEY, but they are not impressive relative to other reels that are out there. Bang for the buck, YES. I had two, sold one of them. The machining is rough, finish was spotty on one of them and there are plenty of machined Chinese reels that can be had for $120. As far as balance; 4oz is awfully light and I doubt you would notice it on anything except an EXTREMELY light short rod.

IMO I'd rather take the closeout Orvis BLA I that I saw on e-bay for 125 recently. I think you can do better for your money if you find something on sale; full price against full price the Allen is decent.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

My Allen Trout is a very nice reel, especially at Forum price. It is availible in green, a match for your Trilogy, or other colors if you prefer. Suggest you contact Justin to discuss what you are looking for, he seems to have the reputation of being easy to deal with among members.
Or you could try a Loomis. Good luck.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

shoot Justin a message on the websites chat or email. both of mine are great. rods great too.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

i dont have the trout reel but i have the alpha and alpha 2 among other prototypes and i am impressed with them all. the machining and anodizing are fantastic as well. Maby ausablebrown got a rare less than perfect one. id say go for the Allen reel, you wont be disapointed.
mbphotos54 likes this.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I have three of the Allen Trout reels and will likely be picking up another Trout 1 soon. I use an Allen 1 on both of my 3wts and in my opinion it feels great on both my 7'3" and 9' 3wts. I haven't had any problems with any of the Allen reels I've purchased, and any issues I've ever had with an order or anything related was quickly remedied by Justin. While the first thing that drew me to Allen was the price and the number of positive reviews I saw on this forum and elsewhere even from the very beginnings of the company, the things that have kept me with the company has been their customer service and their warranty. While I wouldn't scoff at picking up a stellar deal on ebay, in the price range I'm looking to spend I haven't used a reel that I preferred over my Allen reels. Certainly you could find great reels in all price ranges, but I think, with few exceptions, you have to reach quite a bit higher price-wise to meet the combination of performance, customer service, and warranty you get from Allen.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-26-2012, 10:27 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I feel that I am the only dissenting opinion every time there is a thread discussing the Allen reels, but if I don't give my point of view then you can't really get the whole picture; the collected review of all customers. Obviously, the reels have impressed plenty of people, myself included when you consider that I got mine for $75 when Justin was running one of the forum special prices. I've become very good at finding steller deals on e-bay so perhaps I'm a bit jaded as to what I should expect for my money. I've got Orvis BLA's, Lamson GURUS, and Nautilus FW's that I paid the same money as I would for a full price Allen Trout. So when I think about it in these terms; I just can't justify paying full price for Allen.

As far as the quality of the reel; It is definitely not a Hatch, Abel, or Galvan...though there are some on here who sold all of their Abel's and replaced them with Allens!!! I just don't get it, but to each his own. It is my opinion that the reels just have a cheap look and feel in comparison. Like I mentioned, the anodization was a bit splotchy and the machining grooves were not polished out. I also had an issue with the reel foot...which was not resolved; the reason I resold the reel. I couldn't get it to fit on my TXL, Sage claims that the hardware on the txl is purposely at the small end of standard size. I was told by the Allen guy that a smaller reel foot was in the process of beign fashioned and I could get it when it was done. A few months went by and it wasn't done so I eventually sold the reel. It is an upstart company, so consider that your warranty service may not be around in 5 years...I don't wish that on them but that is the nature of business. Most business have a life of less than 10 years.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

Don't worry Aussable, I got a less than satisfactory Trout in green. They are still a great reel for the money, but the machining, or actually on mine it looked like a careless assembly. It had marks around the screw holes that secured the foot like it got shaved a bit by the screw driver. Also the anodising on the inside had clear spots, on the outside it looked great except for the gouge on the handle wich also looked like it happened on assembly. All in all they perform, but leave a bit to be desired when it comes to aesthetics... I'm sure they would have replaced the reel but it wasn't worth the effort to me, ended up selling it with not an ounce of sellers remorse. But for under a c-note they're a good deal for the guy wanting a machined reel on a budget. Who knows by now they could have all the QC problems worked out and turning out a better product, this was just my experience with the Allen Trout reel.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Thanks to each for your honest appraisals. I have not fully decided on the Allen as yet. I am also looking at the Hardy Uniqua reel. I found a deal on them for $120.00.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
Thanks to each for your honest appraisals. I have not fully decided on the Allen as yet. I am also looking at the Hardy Uniqua reel. I found a deal on them for $120.00.
The large arbor black Uniqua, or the old standard arbor silver? The Uniqua LA is a bit heavy compared to many other large arbor offerings...

Check the weight, people talk about balance in a setup and it really isn't SUPER important on a small rod. You could fish with no reel on your loomis, or with an 6wt reel on; youll just notice it a little if it is off. If you wan't that "nothing there" feel you probably want to search out a reel that is less than 4oz for that rod.