The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 05:17 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ross F1 Experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
I think reel companies need to actually put a reel on a rod and see what weight is really required to balance a rod that only weighs 2-3/4 oz.

I hate a tip heavy rod!
Good point. The overall rod weight is a factor indeed but where that weight is concentrated is also a factor in determining which weight reel plays best with any certain rod.
My rods generally balance right around where the hook keeper would be. Whether that is right or wrong I don't really know or care. I just know they feel just about perfect when fishing.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:36 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
Aside from the fact that I don't need the F1 drag on my 5wt, I think the weight is spot on. On my new Sage ONE 590-4, my 5oz reel is way to light to balance the rod. I think reel companies need to actually put a reel on a rod and see what weight is really required to balance a rod that only weighs 2-3/4 oz. It is a lot higher than you would think.

For my lighter rods I am actually looking at the lower end reels such as the Ross CLA (or going up 1-2 sizes) because they are much heavier and they balance the rod better.

I hate a tip heavy rod!
I tend to not try to go to the extremes of lightweight, but find the Evolutions tend to balance most of my rods real well.I did just put a Lamson purist on a Sage ZXL and the reel is almost to light.

For a heavier rig my Bauer Mckenzie balances my Orvis Hydros 6wt perfectly.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:26 PM

5shot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I tend to not try to go to the extremes of lightweight, but find the Evolutions tend to balance most of my rods real well.I did just put a Lamson purist on a Sage ZXL and the reel is almost to light.

For a heavier rig my Bauer Mckenzie balances my Orvis Hydros 6wt perfectly.
I had a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 and it wouldn't balance my 8wt. That was the 2011 version. They made them even lighter for 2012...