The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 PM

5shot is on a distinguished road
Default Ross F1 Experience?

I have a chance to get a Ross F1 at a great deal, but I really can't find much on the Reels, other than all the press releases and reviews when it first came out.

Have any of you used one extensively, and if so, what do you think of it?

I would be using it for Steelhead and possibly Pike.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM

troutchops is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ross F1 Experience?

I have a smaller one on my four weight. Nice reel with a drag system that I'll never utilize at this line weight. Like you, I got mine for a great price.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I too have posted inquiries with no response. It's odd because Ross is a very popular brand of reels in this forum and F1 is US (CO) made, also popular. I have not used one but my impressions are that it has an inovative, large sweep area drag system for larger fresh and salt gamefish, it is very well built but it suffers from a less than ideal aspect ratio. Anglers that pursue fish that regularly show you the color of your backing are increasingly of the opinion that wide/shallow spooled reels are disadvantagous. PLease see my posting with fish tale about this under "General Discussions".
Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the read. I will take that under advisement
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Now I am curious; I studied this F1 on Ross's web site and it seems to have a much larger drag sweep area than most other "sealed drag" reels. Highly regards Nautilus NV and costly Tibor Signiture reels also share this virtue. Some others achive it by stacking, thus using both surface areas of drag components...Hatch and Hardy Fortuna for good examples.

It seems US-built F1 is in pretty elite company yet no one here uses one despite the many steelheaders and saltwater anglers among us...does sombody see an issue here I am missing?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Now I am curious; I studied this F1 on Ross's web site and it seems to have a much larger drag sweep area than most other "sealed drag" reels. Highly regards Nautilus NV and costly Tibor Signiture reels also share this virtue. Some others achive it by stacking, thus using both surface areas of drag components...Hatch and Hardy Fortuna for good examples.

It seems US-built F1 is in pretty elite company yet no one here uses one despite the many steelheaders and saltwater anglers among us...does sombody see an issue here I am missing?
I have a few Ross Evolutions and a older Ross Rhythm all fantastic reels. For me the pricetag of the F1 does it for me. I fish 1 thru 4wts so drag isnt uber important. Quite frankly for my 6wt I happened to get a steal on a Bauer McKenzie which is a beautiful reel so I didnt shop the "new" market. I guess even if I needed a stout drag the pricetag would point me right back to a Ross Evolution or Lamson Velocity type price point.

Also the benefits of a stout drag is the flip side of the coin of a heavier reel.

Evolution for a 6wt 4.2Oz for $299
F1 for a 6wt 5.6oz for $500

It reminds me of when I was shopping for a Omega Seamaster watch for $1700....ok so its a watch but I like watches

Sales lady "Omega was the only watch landed on the moon"
Me "Im not going to the moon"
Sales lady "James Bond wears it in the movies"
Me...Im not James Bond
Sales Lady "Its waterproof to 900M"
Me "My pool is only 8' deep

Finally she gives up and says what will I have to tell you for you to buy it. Me I said tell me its 25% off

She did and I bought it.....sometimes price exceeds performance needs
Old 05-04-2012, 09:50 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
Also the benefits of a stout drag is the flip side of the coin of a heavier reel.

Bingo! This is what has me looking elsewhere than Ross. I too love Ross reels and have them from a Ross R to a Vision to the Evolution but the newer stuff they're putting out seems to be going the wrong way on weight (despite rods constantly getting lighter)
They seem heavy into doo-dads and showing off carbon fiber too. Sadly, form seems to trump function in their newer offerings. Sad really.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 AM

Comeonavs & Jackster, Though made in trout sizes, this F1 is much more relevant in 7-weight and up because its drag and overall design is irrelevent to the type of performance we seek in smaller reels. It is ligher in weight and seemingly more evolved in design than the Ross BG-5 9-weight reel that I have one of which remains popular and high priced in the used tackle market.

I just compared F1#4 in 7-9 wt. size (7.1 oz. $550) to Orvis Mirage IV (7-9, 7.2 oz. $495). Considering the Ross is made in CO and the Orvis in China, the price differntal is not that great and both are less than the Hatch or Nautilus NV (8-9, 7.1 oz. $695).

The Hatch and NV are both great sealed drag reels that I fish in the salt, trouble free and super smooth and strong. Reviews of the Mirage and its siblings have been posative. My older Ross BG-5 is a good but heavy reel but with suspect reliability due to a plastic geared ring that has failed on other users reels, I have been lucky. So with the superior design of F1, its ball park weight, reasonable price in this performance catagory and made in the US by a beloved company, I ask once more...why has no one used one?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I was very disappointed to see what they offered for a 6-7 weight reel option...

To me, 3.65" is too small of diameter to make me happy, I think they should have made it around 3.85" for those line weights...

Hatch reels did the same thing, simply doesn't make sense as neither one really have a good option when it comes to a reel for a 7 weight rod...

Just my opinion though...

Luckily, the Galvan Torque Size 6 is perfect for any 7 weight I have ever fished it on...
Old 05-27-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post

Aside from the fact that I don't need the F1 drag on my 5wt, I think the weight is spot on. On my new Sage ONE 590-4, my 5oz reel is way to light to balance the rod. I think reel companies need to actually put a reel on a rod and see what weight is really required to balance a rod that only weighs 2-3/4 oz. It is a lot higher than you would think.

For my lighter rods I am actually looking at the lower end reels such as the Ross CLA (or going up 1-2 sizes) because they are much heavier and they balance the rod better.

I hate a tip heavy rod!