The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 09:36 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: okuma sierra?

Interesting read.....In my line of work, I always shy away from selling these reels because I have never read anything about them. I do however try and sell the vashon or SLV which are decent reels for the price as well. I will now, after reading this try and sell these reels to those looking for a budget friendly set up.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:02 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

cptxkirk, first, I have no association with Okuma other than owning some of their fly reels. In general, I've become quite impressed with Okuma & their products. It seems to me they are a company intent on improving their products, providing excellent quality, but at a reasonable price. They appear to be improving their products, with better designs & components year after year too rather than just adding "bling"! Although I have no issues with the appearance of the Okuma reels I own, or of their other products I've seen. My primary concern when buying a fly reel is function, not looks.
I've looked at the Vashon & the SLV reels too & from what I've read about them, would buy either if I had the need.

Okuma is a sponsor on a bass fishing site I frequent, and several folks are using their rods & reels, with very positive results. I've also read on other fishing forums, Okuma surf rods & reels are gaining in popularity. Also, some folks here in MD who troll in the Chesapeake Bay have said they're using Okuma reels, where Penn, Shimano & ABU used to be the standard.

There are still many other very good brands on the market, and Okuma is not replacing them. However, for the price ranges & quality that Okuma provides, they certainly should be & are seriously considered now.

Other than fly reels, and I own several, both Sierra's & Integrity's, I don't own any other Okuma products, but likely will in the future. IMO, they're not the best on the market, but do provide a good value for the price.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

In my neck of the woods they have displaced Garcia as the Musky reel of choice.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
cptxkirk, first, I have no association with Okuma other than owning some of their fly reels. In general, I've become quite impressed with Okuma & their products. It seems to me they are a company intent on improving their products, providing excellent quality, but at a reasonable price. They appear to be improving their products, with better designs & components year after year too rather than just adding "bling"! Although I have no issues with the appearance of the Okuma reels I own, or of their other products I've seen. My primary concern when buying a fly reel is function, not looks.
I've looked at the Vashon & the SLV reels too & from what I've read about them, would buy either if I had the need.

Okuma is a sponsor on a bass fishing site I frequent, and several folks are using their rods & reels, with very positive results. I've also read on other fishing forums, Okuma surf rods & reels are gaining in popularity. Also, some folks here in MD who troll in the Chesapeake Bay have said they're using Okuma reels, where Penn, Shimano & ABU used to be the standard.

There are still many other very good brands on the market, and Okuma is not replacing them. However, for the price ranges & quality that Okuma provides, they certainly should be & are seriously considered now.

Other than fly reels, and I own several, both Sierra's & Integrity's, I don't own any other Okuma products, but likely will in the future. IMO, they're not the best on the market, but do provide a good value for the price.
I appreciate your input. I didn't take any of the responses to this thread as an endorsement from someone who works for Okuma. I just really enjoy reading others inputs on a particular piece of gear that I have yet to try (due to Lamson loyalty)! I did however in the preservation of cash, purchase a Vashon at a wicked discount, and have yet to try it. But I like the fact that Okuma is putting out a decent product at a decent price. All I was saying is I enjoyed reading the input (and this isn't even my thread)!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:39 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

You mentioned selling reels, and I didn't want you to think I was a rep or anything like that. I know I often sound like an advertisement!

I also have a Lamson, one of the pre-Waterworks LP-2 reels with extra spools. Bought it new! It's been a great reel too, just quite a bit more money compared to the Okuma's I own.

I have no particular brand loyalties, but will recommend brands & specific products that have proven their worth to me, regardless of price. I will however also buy brands that have impressed me!

As I said, I have become impressed with Okuma!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:59 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i too am a lamson guy, but have a couple okuma SLV's and have owned a couple of sierras in the past.
IMO, the sierra is a great reel at the price it is listed at. it is sturdy, smooth and has a classic design that makes it a fine choice as a starter or back up reel.

casey

ARFE