The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 09:36 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orvis Made in England Click and Pawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Wow Ard, you caught that beast on a click-pawl 3/4? I though only fishing gods like Lee Wulff could do stunts like that. We are not worthy! (Check this out, beginning at time counter 2:45.) Salar, The Leaper - YouTube

Part II of the same clip:
Salar, The Leaper Part two - YouTube
How on earth did that old boy make that cast without a BoronIIIX or Z-Axis?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:00 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

I wonder if you bought it from me for $91 on eBay? If so I did say it was Click and Pawl. After I sold it I decided to get a 8ft Bamboo rod, now I will need a similar reel. That reel balanced well with an Orvis 8ft Bamboo rod I had years ago. Those reels are great, once you get used to palming it can handle some pretty big fish. I caught a few bigger steelheads on it, when my 7/8 weight reel broke. Those reels last a long time.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 07-22-2012, 02:03 PM

catskill ron is on a distinguished road

I suspect your springs need to be replaced, an easy job. You never know with a previously owned reel whether or not the drag has been turned off when not is use. I overlook this all the time with my CFO3 and I believe that it contributes to wearing the spring's tension; it happens to all click-and-pawls.

A great thing about Orvis is the servicing of their reels. For example, I have 2 Battenkill disc drag 8/9s and both had some exposure to saltwater and the drags were fluttering and I couldn't clean them up. I took them into the local Orvis-owned dealer who shipped them up to Vermont (free) and for $10 each, I got the reels back within a week in perfect condition. They thoroughly cleaned the reels and had to replace 3 parts and waived the charges on those.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:03 AM

edsass is on a distinguished road

Ard,

I am finally ready to post a picture of the bamboo fly rod I built. Are you still willing to help me with that?

Ed

Last edited by edsass; 02-16-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: posted twice