The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 12:19 AM

edsass is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Made in England Click and Pawl

I just purchased an Orvis Battenkill Reel on eBay that was made in England. It looked like a disc drag in the picture, but when I received it, I found out it is a click and pawl. The drag doesn't seem to tighten much. Is this normal for this reel? Can anyone give me information about this reel?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Orvis Made in England Click and Pawl

Hi Ed,

Depending on the size: 3/4 - 5/6 - 7/8 etc. the tension range varies. The clicker reels tend to be a bit light on the drag but with the exposed rim you can handle about any fish. below is a nice silver salmon reeled in using an early Battenkill 3/4 while trout fishing. Provided your reel is in good shape and you're satisfied with the price, it's a good fly reel.

Ard

Click the image to open in full size.
baseman1 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Wow Ard, you caught that beast on a click-pawl 3/4? I though only fishing gods like Lee Wulff could do stunts like that. We are not worthy! (Check this out, beginning at time counter 2:45.)

Part II of the same clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=KMZYYAl0a3I
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Thanks Ard. It's a 5/6 and I paid $90 for it. It's in perfect condition. The reel will be used for stream trout here in Minnesota or Wisconsin. I build fishing rods and am currently building an 8-foot bamboo 5-weight to use with this reel. BTW, great fish!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:11 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Damn Ard, that is impressive! Which Superfine rod is that? I have the same reel that used to be matched to a 7'11" 4WT Superfine - the rod I have since sold (I really wish I hadn't done that) but still use the reel.

edsass - it's a darn good reel, I've been using my 3/4 Battenkill for at least 15 years. Darn fine piece of equipment. Simple and functional.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome Ed,

I hope you'll post a picture of rod & reel together when it's all done. If you have trouble with pictures loading here get in touch with me & I'll sort things out with you.

Hi John,

The reel is the one I told you about I think; an old one with the sticker on the back before they got the cool emblem on them. I sold that and regret it every time I see that old picture............ The rod is my 1979 Far & Fine #5 and I ate that salmon..........

Ard

Old 05-13-2012, 01:41 PM

I will try to post the picture. I built two fly rods last winter (along with many spinning and baitcasting rods). Both turned out quite well. However, I've never before built a rod on a bamboo blank. So, we'll see how that one turns out.

Ed
Old 05-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Oh,

I thought you meant you were splitting - plaining and etc. i've finished bamboo rods in the past. It's pretty much the same as any other blank when you get right down to it. If the cane is impregnated then all you have to do is install seat - grip - and check then wrap the works. I always used Spar varnish on my silks rather than Flex Coat but that was last century too

If you put up a picture of the reel inside and the back of cage I can help.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:50 PM

I'm not that talented. I purchased the complete blank. As far as the Battnkill reel, the inside looks exactly like the one in this post at Fiberglass Flyrodders • Orvis Battenkill - click/pawl?
In fact, the reel pictured there is the exact same reel I have. Do you know when and by whom they were manufatured? Also, is switching it from left to right-hand retrieve as simple as taking off the line and reversing it?

Ed
Old 05-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Ed,

I'm sorry, I got you confused with a fella posting about a drag issue with a Martin #61 reel.........

I believe the latter versions of the Battenkill were made by BFR British Fly Reels. Early ones were made by (I'm relying on memory which isn't always accurate) Young & I think Pflueger made some of them......... You might want to search that if you want to know for sure.

The drag, look at the position of the Pawls - reverse them and the drag will be reversed. Then re-spool line and you're good to go