The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default J. Austin Forbes reel

I have a friend who has offered to sell me a J. Austin Forbes Flyreel. I know very little about this brand. Its a great looking reel and very light. Its a 5/6 weight, click and pawl drag. Can anybody give me some insights to this reel?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: J. Austin Forbes reel

They are Britt made and look like nice enough reels to me if the price is right I wouldn't hesitate. What is your friend asking if thats something you want to share?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Its more of a Barter deal. He wants 3 dozen flies (to be named later) and a Cortland 7' 3/4 weight 2 piece rod. The rod is in great shape, plus the flies, I think a value of $100 for the lot is a fair evaluation.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Last edited by mrfzx; 05-14-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I would jump on it unless you love the rod. The reels go for around 250+ new if its the Avon. I looked on their site and it wasn't a whole lot of help but the reels seem to be 3" diameter and the spool looks like its pretty wide but its hard to tell from a picture.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Homer,

I've seen quite a few of the Forbes reels, they are machined in Scotland and are not only well done but a bit of a novelty. I'd go as far as to call them rare these days. They made / make reels all the way from flea sizes up to salt water big game cranks. !00 dollars is fair if it is clean,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I understand that Forbes is basically the carcass of the now-defunct JW Young reel company. After Young closed the remaining Young product inventory was being sold under the Forbes nameplate. High quality stuff.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:40 PM

This one is extremely clean and works as smooth as melted butter. I think it will look good on my BVK 5wt. I do really like the Cortland rod, I've had it since the 1980's, but since I got the 8' 3wt BVK, its not going to see much action. I think its a done deal.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

When I get it I'll post some pics on the "reel love" thread.