The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 08:10 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hardy har har!

I've got a few spring-and-pawl Lightweights and CFOs for 5 weight and under. I think they match well for small stream and delicate spring creek fishing. Can't see much use for a disc drag in those situations, and the only thing a large arbor in small sizes does is prevent a little bit more kinking on the back end of the line that rarely sees daylight anyway. On the few occasions when I do need to play a larger fish from the reel I use my finger (on the Hardys) or the palming rim (on the CFO's), as described above, and I find I have more control to protect the tippet than I would with a disc drag anyway.

For 6 weight and up, which is what I would use for bigger fish in bigger water, I do have mid and large arbor reels with strong disc drags, because that's the kind of fishing where they excel. But even so, I've also got a CFO IV spooled with WF6, just because I love the classic look and feel. If you know how to use the palming rim properly you can still do anything a disc drag can do, and often with better control, even though it can also be more work. It's like the difference between driving a stick and an automatic.

They were catching big trout, on weaker tippets than we have today, without adjustable drags, for hundreds of years before anyone ever thought to put a disc brake in a fly reel.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:13 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hardy har har!

I agree about reels with palming rims such as the CFO's. Even on reels with drags I sometimes set the drag light enough so a little extra force with the palming rim is in order. The Hardy though was a real challenge. I guess I hadn't used it for larger, faster fish before because it really was a challenge. Darn near lost a finger trying to stick in on the spool near the spinning handle. I think I'll use a finger on the spooled line as suggested if I'm lucky enough to hook some smokers in the future.