The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 10:15 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Made in China

I intend to avoid the economic/political linkage to Chinese product and stick to fly reel quality.

A number of quality oriented American fly fishing companies have their reels made in China. They design the reel here, specify the alloys for fabrication and keep a close tab on the manufacturing and finish of the product. To use Orvis as an example; I have a contemporary Orvis reel siting on my desk before me. It is flex-free, free of machine marks and the tolerances are close. OK, the inner surface of the line guard pillar could be radiused to protect your line (it is not) and the bearings look like off-the-shelf Chinese. The drag adjusting detentes increase the drag setting at way to great a rate making fine tuning a chore - but that is design not manufacturing. For the same price you could get a made in Florida Nautilus with more sophisticated machining (including a radiused inner surface on the pillar), a superior drag that is infinitely and intuitively fine tunable (one of the best in the business at any price point) and you can speak directly to the manufacturer if you have an issue. Still, Orvis will staunchly stand behind their imported reel but will not be able to control design elements from it leaking into lesser boiler-plate product the Chinese producer will seek to sell and label for any catalog company that comes along. Those cheaply constructed, cost cutting reels bearing an American brand name are what tackle folks abhor about Chinese made reels. And there are lots of them. Yes the careful branders with a reputation to protect, Orvis, Sage, etc. may produce a fine reel in China but beware the little companies that are having their name slapped on unscrupulously produced, low strength alloy, hub-drag junk.

Clearly many of us hope to spend less than Abel/Tibor pricing but look at all the modest priced, decently designed and built reels from a plethora of US reel makers who are working hard to earn our business rather than just our dollars for a low priced Chinese reel in a bright color at a low price.
imxer and fredaevans like this.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:41 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

At the end of the day, generally speaking, companies choose to manufacture in China in order to save money. I prefer to buy my equipment from companies whose #1 priority is quality and, while Chinese factories can produce quality products, I believe the vast majority of Chinese factories produce to a price point first and a quality point second. I like to think that US factories are the other way around, but perhaps I am being naive.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
"a poor man cannot afford to buy cheap gear".
WT, aka 'Bill' pretty much summed it up with that bombshell of a quote!

I have some fine tackle, some of it was the result of saving money for a long time until I could buy the same things that people far above my pay grade could purchase without a second thought. Other than a pair of Quarrow rods made in S. Korea all of the tackle is American or British made.
fredaevans and rockriver like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-04-2012, 05:23 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete a View Post
Brian, just supplied very large orde for high integrity pipeline seals (made in US) to an offshore underwater pipeline project engineered in Houston, TX procured in Houston, TX and sold to BHP Billiton for North West Austrailia.

ALL of the pipe is coming in from China, much of the work will be perfomed by Australian and Mylasian (spelling) contractors. Much of the valves, controls are Chinese & Indian integrated by Austrailan & US engineers.

However much/most of the oil will be sold to China. Sounds like a trading partner not a competitor. A handful of chinese reels are far less $$ out of Aus than incoming oil $$ from China.

Pete A.
Pete,I'ts good that something is supplied by manufacturers other than China,I just wish there was more of it.
The Australian Government is letting both China & India buy into just about everthing in this Country,our Natural Gas goes to China via a Deal done by The Producers for 5c a litre for 25years,we pay anywhere from 65 to 80c.
Brian.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:02 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm usually pretty good at taking blame for my own actions so I'll fess up. If I didn't have this overwhelming compulsion to hoard tackle and own more rods/reels than I could possibly use then China wouldn't a market with me. If I took the time to repair a broken item instead of buying a shiny new one, China wouldn't have a market.
They manufacture at insanely low costs because their work force is severely mistreated and American's desire to have the latest and greatest products instead of maintaining what they already own keeps China's factories working 24/7.
When was the last time you took a pair of shoes to the shoemaker for repair? Has anyone seen the knife/scissor sharpening truck drive through they're neighborhood lately? A TV repairman? Anyone remember having a car radiator boiled and recapped? Starters and alternators rebuilt? All of these crafts have moved overseas because we want new stuff. Drive around the neighborhood on trash day and look at what we throw away...
sweetandsalt and pa dave like this.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:37 PM

dennis7490 is on a distinguished road

I am the original poster.

Ironically I just had 2 old Hardy reels and an Orvis CFO (made in England) fixed by Bill Archuleta in Oregon.
They perform like new. This is a craftsman.
I have more rods and reels now than I ever did...and I fish less than I ever did. Hopefully my son won't be so foolish.
fysh, swirlchaser and fredaevans like this.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:04 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I intend to avoid the economic/political linkage to Chinese product and stick to fly reel quality.

A number of quality oriented American fly fishing companies have their reels made in China. They design the reel here, specify the alloys for fabrication and keep a close tab on the manufacturing and finish of the product. To use Orvis as an example; I have a contemporary Orvis reel siting on my desk before me. It is flex-free, free of machine marks and the tolerances are close. OK, the inner surface of the line guard pillar could be radiused to protect your line (it is not) and the bearings look like off-the-shelf Chinese. The drag adjusting detentes increase the drag setting at way to great a rate making fine tuning a chore - but that is design not manufacturing. For the same price you could get a made in Florida Nautilus with more sophisticated machining (including a radiused inner surface on the pillar), a superior drag that is infinitely and intuitively fine tunable (one of the best in the business at any price point) and you can speak directly to the manufacturer if you have an issue. Still, Orvis will staunchly stand behind their imported reel but will not be able to control design elements from it leaking into lesser boiler-plate product the Chinese producer will seek to sell and label for any catalog company that comes along. Those cheaply constructed, cost cutting reels bearing an American brand name are what tackle folks abhor about Chinese made reels. And there are lots of them. Yes the careful branders with a reputation to protect, Orvis, Sage, etc. may produce a fine reel in China but beware the little companies that are having their name slapped on unscrupulously produced, low strength alloy, hub-drag junk.

Clearly many of us hope to spend less than Abel/Tibor pricing but look at all the modest priced, decently designed and built reels from a plethora of US reel makers who are working hard to earn our business rather than just our dollars for a low priced Chinese reel in a bright color at a low price.
Are you sure they are Chinese made? I thought Orvis was using Indonesia, and Sage along w/ Hardy S Korea. While many of the price point reels (Greys, Reddington, entry level Orvis) I don't know of any American company producing high end reels there.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:36 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Pete,I'ts good that something is supplied by manufacturers other than China,I just wish there was more of it.
The Australian Government is letting both China & India buy into just about everthing in this Country,our Natural Gas goes to China via a Deal done by The Producers for 5c a litre for 25years,we pay anywhere from 65 to 80c.
Brian.

It is well known through out the oil industry that Chinese pumps, drill pipe and etc is an inferior product that is best avoided. Start pulling 150,000 lbs over string weight when stuck and everyone on location feels better if it's American drill pipe.

Dave
Old 08-12-2012, 10:59 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The only realy good thing coming out of China these days is Tonkin Bamboo.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
WT, aka 'Bill' pretty much summed it up with that bombshell of a quote!

I have some fine tackle, some of it was the result of saving money for a long time until I could buy the same things that people far above my pay grade could purchase without a second thought. Other than a pair of Quarrow rods made in S. Korea all of the tackle is American or British made.
+1 to what Ard just said. I know my 'gear' and not a single bit of it was not designed/built here in North America. (There may be one exception, a newer Hardy Reel)..

Want an excellent 'made on our fair shores' bit of kit? Not hard to find if you want to take a few minutes to do some research. Reels? SpeyCo/Bauer = bullet proof (Bauer's in Ashland, Oregon). Burkie rods, all hand rolled in his plant in Washougal, Washington (and I do mean every blank). Etc.

Might each and every piece to goes into the building be out of 'Murica? Probably not as some things just aren't manufactured here (or in very limited amounts) at this point in time (that I could find).

Remember a TV show where Diane Sawyer took some families home and the crew stripped out every bit of equipment that wasn't 'American Made' (result was butt ugly!!) and replaced everything with "Made in America." Extra cost to build the house with 'Murican? A couple of thousand dollars more ... Or to put it another way: You're spending $200,000 to build/buy a 'new home,' is ONE PERCENT more 'too much?'

fae