The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Made in China

I believe they had JW Young make some trout reels for them as well, like the 106.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:16 PM

mjkirshner is on a distinguished road

I won't buy food products (human or pet) made in China, but a fly reel is not likely to poison me, so for a fraction of the cost of one made in the US or Europe, I am willing to risk trying one. Worst case scenario, I'm out a few bucks, have to buy a better one, and I have a crappy backup for just in case. Of more concern to me than the quality issue or reverse-engineering/piracy issue would be the human rights/working conditions issue. I have to admit a little guilt for buying something that might have been made by children or people working under near-slave labor conditions. On the other hand, the reels costing 10 times as much may well have been made under the same conditions.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:19 PM

tarponfly49 is on a distinguished road

Also please keep in mind that ANY fishing company that is US made is required to pay 10% of the total sale to conservation! That's huge! That means a single hatch, Abel, tibor, sage, or Scott purchase gives $50-90 for maintaining our waters! Now multiply that by thousands! That's why most conventional gear went overseas! I'm glad that most quality fly stuff is US made for this simple reason alone!!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

To avoid veering the thread off course, could you please pm me some more info on the mandatory 10% going toward conversation. Thanks.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Hello, we definitely have products made in and off shore . Just wanted to bring up the topic of the 10% excise tax that was just brought up. That applies to all companies in the industry both manufacturing here and off shore. The tax is for conservation. We cut a check every quarter. It's called the "importation and manufacturing of fishing and archery products".

Thanks

Justin
Old 07-08-2014, 10:26 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenflyfishing View Post
Hello, we definitely have products made in and off shore . Just wanted to bring up the topic of the 10% excise tax that was just brought up. That applies to all companies in the industry both manufacturing here and off shore. The tax is for conservation. We cut a check every quarter. It's called the "importation and manufacturing of fishing and archery products".

Thanks

Justin
Just out of curiosity due to my economics background because that seems like a stout tax. Does Uncle Sam calculate that off of retail sales price or cost of raw goods used , domestic or import ?

Man I appreciate conservation but holy smokes a 10% whack on a retail value is healthy to say the least.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

It's 10% off the price the manufacturer sells to the retailer. On rods its $10 or 10% of the lessor. Some products are 3% as well.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:20 AM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

Thread up again. I think this is a "sore spot" for China to produce for the all world. No secret what the environmental situation in country China. For example type in google "china pollution facts" (for lazy: https://www.google.com/search?q=chin...w=1538&bih=815 ) and look at the pictures! Just one line where you can develop a thought, why I buy made anywhere. It is deep but still makes sense. Changes begins in you not from neighbor.