The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 03:46 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6/7 WT Reel - Echo Ion or Reddington Surge?

I am reel shopping for my 9' 6WT VPS. It's a fast rod on the heavy side, I've never been too fond of it but don't fish it a lot. It's really a spring high water / streamer rod. I plan to line it up with a 7 WT WFF and/or try 6 WT sinking line, the rod is much stiffer than I prefer and I think it could handle it.

Anyway...the reel that has been on the rod is an old Orvis Rocky Mountain and I just noticed the other day that it is considered a 3/4. Mind you it is huge 3/4, I'd call it a 5/6 and I remember buying it for that reason. So I'd like to replace it with an inexpensive reel that will hold a 7WT line, I don't use the rig enough to justify spending more than $100 bucks right now.

A couple reels it's run across are the Echo Ion and Reddington Surge, but sealed disc drags for $80.

I'd like to hear from anyone with first hand experience with either of these reels or any suggestions of other reels in the range.

Thanks!