The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 10:16 AM

dennis7490 is on a distinguished road
Default Hardy lineguard

Hi,

I have an old Hardy "featherweight" with a lineguard that has 2 screws. the lineguard has a groove in it and I need to replace it. Hardy no longer has them. does anyone know where i can fine a 2 screw lineguard for a Featherweight?

Also, is it possible that this groove came about due to extensive fishing? It's exactly the size of a flyline, and my friend fished more than anyone I ever met. Just wondering.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 06-17-2012, 10:20 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardy lineguard

Archuleta's Reel Works
Old 06-17-2012, 10:55 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I am by no means the expert but from what my reading has yielded over the past couple of years, the reel was at one point lined with silk fly line. Silk lines as I understand, seemed to hold onto grit from the streams and stream side more so than today's modern lines. The fly line then has abrasive properties. This is fairly common in some of the older reels.

Have heard nothing but great things about Archuleta's Reel Works.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

This happened to mine when a friend borrowed it. The cause was from his stripping line off of the reel with each back cast. It looks cool and seems logical to do that but the extreme bend the line takes around the line guard just isn't good for it. Take the butt section of rod rod/reel combo and duplicate that motion. At the peak of your back cast stop and look at what your line is doing at the reel. It ain't pretty.
Strip the line you need before beginning your cast and save a lineguard and maybe a line.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Thank you both. I will get hold of Archuleta's.

And, yes, that is exactly what happened to this lineguard. didn't know it was possible. thanks.

dennis
Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Here's some pics of a friend's CFO's who eveidentally does the same thing. Orvis has replaced his just recently- but they won't last long if he doesn't change the way he strips off line. The CFO's were made by Hardy and used aluminum for the line guards.

A guy good with a TIG welder might be able to fix that in a minute for you though. Hardy should be able to find the specs on what alloy was used - which would be a help for a welder.

How long did it take for your friend to do that to yours?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:08 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
How long did it take for your friend to do that to yours?
Dang wjc... that took talent! Didn't that guy ever wonder why his lines don't last?

One day of impressive showing off did mine in!

I always thought my CFO line guards were nickel-silver. Now you got me dragging those spools out for a divot inspection.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:19 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Jackster,

Quote:
Didn't that guy ever wonder why his lines don't last?
I think he had a pretty good idea!

Wow! Only one day? That material is even softer than I thought.

Both of my H. lightweights still have pristine line guards (though not much else).

My problem has always been wearing out tip tops and guides.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:27 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Could you possibly polish that out with a mild wheel or small drum sander?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:38 PM

I'm the original poster. I do NOT have the experience that any of you do, but was given 4 reels (Featherweight - St. Aiden) with many spools, all Hardy, "Made in England". All used hard! I just sent all of them to William A (sp?) mentioned above for repair.
But I am flabbergasted that that kind of lineguard wear was even possible. I guess it's a good thing I'll be putting on new lines.