The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Hi-tech from the late 70's early 80's

"Back in the day" the Medalist was the ubiquitous reel for many of us. I have fly fished the Texas coast off/on for 40+ years and these reels met the price and reasonable durabililty test. Heck many of us were heaving with the old Shakespeare Wonderods so Medalist were pretty "high brow" for my cornies (that's if you could find another salt water flyfisher back then).

However there were some "hi-tech" upgrades available. In the pic below of a Model 9 Orvis Madison (brand labled Medalist 1498 for Orvis) you will see a counter weight and a cool bronze drag disc. Sadly I don't have stories of burning drags and ripping fights from toothy beasts but I always new I was ready. Trout and reds fight hard but seldom tear into the backing. But there was always the hope of seeing steam pour from my reels left side.

My question does anyone know if these are still available? Yea I know a new reel is better/cheaper but it's about nostalgia. I've got a couple of Medalist I'd like to trick out.

Pete A.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi-tech from the late 70's early 80's

There is a website called onepfoot.com. It sells aftermarket parts, so one could restore or customize a Medalist.

Dennis
Old 06-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Pete & Dennis,

The last time I checked (about 2 months ago) the onepfoot site was not being maintained. There has been a health issue with the owner operator and I got an auto reply advising me to contact a dealer.

Pete, since that was built for Orvis I would contact the reel shop at Manchester if you want to stock any backup parts. This would be a good test for their parts inventory. Generally they can replace whatever you may need but that Madison will challenge them.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-20-2012, 04:58 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I 'surfed' the onepfoot site and it works. I have 2 of the Madison #9s, the one shown and another stock. I do have 3 extra spools with various lines.

Thanks to the tips.

Pete A.