The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default what reels are these?

EDIT: October 15th:
so after this original post was made i've taken it to a local shop and the guy there guessed they were like 2-4 wt reels.
well today i ordered Redington CT 3wt 7'6" and 3wt WF floating line, and i would like to set this up.
so new question:
is there a way to determine which of these reels is for what wt line? i have mail scale at work so i can measure these in grams or oz's if that helps. any advice on how to figure out which one of these 3 i should put backing and line on for a 7'6" 3wt rod? thank you
btw if you want me to i can take more up close pictures of below 3.

traded these with someone on Craigslist.
im complete noob, and i wasnt going to pay for them since they have no name/weight/any markings at all. but i ended up trading for these so $0 out of pocket. was hard to say NO
i have no idea what brand / size they are. seem very basic/generic. i grabbed 3 different sizes.
any ideas?? thank you
Click the image to open in full size.

Internal images added:
thanks again guys

Last edited by romanl; 10-15-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: what reels are these?

I have no idea although the design of the two black reels is similar to many standard arbor spring & pawl reels made since the 1970's. The larger titanium finish reel also has a standard arbor by its appearance. If you were to remove the spools and show the inner workings I could tell you whether you have spring & pawl or disc drags in the reels. For beginner tackle they would be decent reels to use.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-22-2012, 01:07 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

From the porting and the lack of labels, the reels appear to be offshore made. Over the years, Targus and other brands brought these into the USA. They were labeled under many different brands.

My gut feeling tells me that the reels are more recent than one might think.

Dennis
Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I agree with MP, these are Asian prototype or sample reels that were looking to be embossed with some company's logo. Many reels with American brand names on them at the lower price points are boilerplate product available to be custom coloured, ported and branded. Many are perfectly serviceable in lower stress use but often feature drags that are not designed to be serviced and, for a low price, you get low quality metals.

Many a higher end mfg. has contracted to have thier design produced off shore with specified alloys only to find the supplier substituted a less rigid aluminum to save a dime per reel.

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

I should add to counterpoint myself that I am taking 5 reels on a fishing trip next week all of which are good to excelent pieces of work and one of them (a Hardy Ultralite DD I really like) is built in Korea and another (a contemporary Orvis) is made in China. These reels are designed by thier respective companies and produced with attentive oversight. I have fished a number of very good and well machined reels made in Korea.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:36 AM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

thanks guys.
i will take some more pictures with spools out later today when i get home.
so you can see the inside and give me more info if that helps
one major issue for me, is there are no LINE Weight # markings so i would have no idea what weight line to put on these?

the guy i traded with had a bunch of these.
the 2 black ones are actually of slightly different sizes. and there was a 3rd larger one, but i went with the green one for the largest size because it was in better shape.
also in that pile he had 1 Redington reel that captured my attention, but it was broken as Drag didn't work.
here's a link to that CL post. he had total of 12 reels, just in case anyone around Orange County CA wanted to pick some up.
Fly Fishing Reels

thanks, will update pics later
Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 PM

internal.
thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Definitely offshore made reels.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:53 PM

sorry to bring this thread up from the dead.
but today i got a new 3wt rod ordered
Redington CT 7'6" 3wt
and i think i can use one of these reels
so i edited my original post with a new questions
here it is:
is there a way to determine which of these reels is for what wt line? i have mail scale at work so i can measure these in grams or oz's if that helps. any advice on how to figure out which one of these 3 i should put backing and line on for a 7'6" 3wt rod? thank you
Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

what are the diameter of the 2 black reels?

ARFE
Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
what are the diameter of the 2 black reels?
ok got em, and here are sizes, ill start from the smallest one first (black one,) then 2nd black one in the middle and grey one is the 3rd largest one

#1 reel (smallest one) weight: 3.9 oz or 112 grams
diameter: 2" 11/16th or about 6.8 cm

#2 reel (middle one) weight: 4.0 oz or 116 grams (so not much bigger then #1)
diameter: 2" 13/16th or about 7.2 cm

#3 reel (grey large one) weight 4.9 oz or 140 grams
diameter: 2" 15/16th or about 7.7 cm

i hope that helps figuring out which would be best fit for #3 wt line/rod
thank you

Last edited by romanl; 10-16-2012 at 09:10 AM.