The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 PM

silly rabbit is on a distinguished road
Default Help me find a new reel for a Sage VXP

Can someone critique this setup, this could go in Fly Reels, Fly Rods or even Fly Lines. I am in the process of upgrading some gear, it will be a bit of a long one with the cost but this is what I am looking at.

I like the Sage VXP 5 or 4 wt 9' rods and I am planning on pairing it with a Redington Rise 7/8 reel. I like the extra size, my current battenkill reel is small and even with just 100 yards plus backing it fills that reel and makes the first few yards tough to strip. I think the 5/6 Redington reel is bigger than the battenkill reel but not sure.

I know I am going about this backwards but I had to get new fly line a bit ago. I don't want to buy it again, so I have the following two lines already on my spools. The line is probably overloaded for the rod, but like I said at $75/line I don't want to buy again.

Rio Lake CamoLux WF6I
Rio Grand WF6F

This will be 80% for trout 8-15 inches and hopefully occasionally a bit bigger. Not specifically for Steelies but I guess it could happen. That said I am wondering if a 4 wt rod would be better, I would like it to be an all around setup vs something specific.

Thoughts?

Thanks. My head is spinning with all this information.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:35 PM

addni is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help me find a new reel for a Sage VXP

So what's the budget for the reel?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:36 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.

Some random thoughts...

A 4wt rod is going to be more trout specific. You may be able to handle some larger fish with it but you mentioned Steelhead. Here in the Great Lakes, a 5 wt is not exactly advisable, though manageable in a pinch I suppose.

I'd imagine the Reddington would pair up with it well in a 5/6 size given that the reel is meant for a 5/6wt rod, hence the 5/6 designation.

As for your line...not familiar with the CamoLux line but Grand is rated .5 size over, meaning you really have a 6.5wt line which is preferred by many, but not all for a fast action 6wt.

That line on a 4 wt is going to be too much though I suppose you might try it. It's still over with a 5wt but between those two choices you'd be better off pairing it with the 5wt. Then save up and get yourself a line that matches the rod.

You might want to fill out your profile to list where you are located and mention specifics on where you are fishing so that you can get more solid advise.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Personally, I wouldn't buy a rod to match the line you already have. The Reddington Rise 7/8 is also too large IMO for either of those rods. The 5/6 would be ideal, even for the 4 wt. The weight difference between the 4 and 5 is not that significant and IMO the 3/4 is too small for a 4 wt. - I fished it on a 8.5 4 wt. and would have preferred a little larger diameter. Could you make the 7/8 work, of course. More backing, but use a different line than the two mentioned.

If you really want to buy a 4 or 5 wt and are concerned about the extra cost to add new line because of the line you already have, buy a cheaper line or look for a used one. It's a regular occurrence that someone will post a 4 or 5 wt. line for sale on this board for well below cost because they used it a couple of times and don't like the feel of it for their rod. I've done this a couple of times, most recently on a Sage DT 3 wt. line. I paid $20 for it and it's in excellent condition. I never would have bought the line at the shop but for that kind of cash I gave it a chance. And I like it's performance in certain situations quite a bit.

One of the things you'll do over time is try different lines with your rod so starting with a second hand line that is still in shape will give you the opportunity to cast different lines and tapers while you learn what works for the rod. In my opinion, you will not appreciate the performance of your VXP overlined. I fish a VXP 7 wt. and I love the stick. But I wouldn't use either of the lines you mentioned on a 5 wt. VXP rod and especially a 4 wt. rod.

I will tell you that it's taken me years of trying different lines with different sticks to find lines that work. I use different lines of the same rod based on the type of fishing I'm going to be doing. It's all part of the growth and evolution within the sport of the individual. It will make your head spin if you let it. But for me, all this is part of the experience of growing as a fly fisherman. Otherwise I'd just tie on a hook on some mono with some lead and toss a worm I could catch plenty that way. But what fun would that be

Enjoy that VXP. It's a great stick. I fished a guide's 9' 5 wt. VXP in CO last year and I really enjoyed it. Not overly quick like my Z-Axis which made it an ideal stick for the fishing we were doing that day, which was tandem rig nymphing. Fast enough for me because I like a quick rod too. Lots of feel in close and with nice open loops I could toss that 3 fly rig a decent distance.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silly rabbit View Post
Can someone critique this setup, this could go in Fly Reels, Fly Rods or even Fly Lines. I am in the process of upgrading some gear, it will be a bit of a long one with the cost but this is what I am looking at.
Sounds reasonable.

Quote:
I like the Sage VXP 5 or 4 wt 9' rods and I am planning on pairing it with a Redington Rise 7/8 reel.
That's okay if the reel does not make the rod butt heavy.

Quote:
I like the extra size, my current battenkill reel is small and even with just 100 yards plus backing it fills that reel and makes the first few yards tough to strip. I think the 5/6 Redington reel is bigger than the battenkill reel but not sure.
Do you really need 100 yards for a 4 or 5 weight?

Quote:
I know I am going about this backwards but I had to get new fly line a bit ago. I don't want to buy it again, so I have the following two lines already on my spools. The line is probably overloaded for the rod, but like I said at $75/line I don't want to buy again.

Rio Lake CamoLux WF6I
Rio Grand WF6F
Try casting the lines with the rod. If these lines work for you on the 4 or 5 weight, then I guess that you do not need change them out.

Quote:
This will be 80% for trout 8-15 inches and hopefully occasionally a bit bigger. Not specifically for Steelies but I guess it could happen. That said I am wondering if a 4 wt rod would be better, I would like it to be an all around setup vs something specific.
What do you have in your rod quiver currently?

Dennis
Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 PM

My budget for the reel and spool is about $350(ish).

I currently have in my quiver:
Cortland CL Graphite 8'6"
4 piece 4/5 wt

Fenwick F857 8'6" 3 7/8oz
7 wt

Cortland GRF1000
8'6" line wt 6/7

The 4 piece Cortland is for packing because the others are 2 piece rods. It is a fun little rod and I plan on using my Battenkill 5/6 reel on it exclusively, it seems to work pretty well and does cast better with the newer line even though it is heavy for it.

The other Cortland rod was my first rod I ever fished with, I don't if ever use it any longer. I use the Fenwick rod now with the Battenkill 5/6 reel.

The reel is what started it, I stripped some line on it this weekend and it sounded like it was spinning without spinning, so I need to get it repaired. In the midst of looking at getting it repaired I decided I wanted to start fresh with some quality equipment. I can cast pretty good, but I know that the gear I have is causing issues with that.

My Battenkill reel barely holds the line, I have to strip some to get it to start to move freely so I would like something with more room. If the 5/6 reel has more space for line I am completely fine with that option and it sounds as if that will be the best for me and I think I would be leaning towards the 5 wt. There are steelhead all over the oregon river systems that I fish. I don't plan on really searching them out but you never know when you find a dumb one.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My Battenkill reel barely holds the line, I have to strip some to get it to start to move freely so I would like something with more room. If the 5/6 reel has more space for line I am completely fine with that option and it sounds as if that will be the best for me and I think I would be leaning towards the 5 wt.
Here are of couple of options that will make you head butt your computer screen.

1. Remove some backing. For a 4 or 5 weight, you do not need a lot of backing. In a majority of situations, all a fly reel does is hold. It isn't until you hook up Homie that backing capacity and a good drag system come into play. Since you normally catch fish in the 8" to 15" range, it would be very rare if you'd hook up with Homie.

2. Cut about 10 feet of line off the back end. Do you really think that you are going to cast all 90 feet of your fly line?

If you plan on purchasing that VXP in a 4 or 5 weight, your Battenkill should do the job.

Dennis
Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 AM

addni is on a distinguished road

For 350 you can get your hands on pretty much any reel you want (almost). The VXP is quite light, and has a deep smooth action, so I would reccomend a Waterworks/Lamson or Ross EVO LT. I personally think it is a great compliment to have a light reel, and suggest you head to your local to try them out. For me Waterworks/Lamson just edge it out based on 2 factors. Simplicity & the drag system. I personally have the Force LT, ULA from Waterworks/Lamson and could yap all day about it.

As for overlining a The VXP, This would depend a lot on your casting style as we are all different in that sense. This is normally not an issue with modern lines designed for Fast Action rods, as they are usually beefed up 1/2 wt. Trial and error will help you here.

So after all this yapping, I would reccomend the following:

Sub $200: Lamson Konic
$200-$350: Lamson Litespeed or Ross Evoloution LT
+$350: Waterworks Force SL (the big-daddy supreme glorious king of reels! In my opinion)

Of course, both brands are Made in USA, and have excellent warranty/service. Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:12 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I would personally go for an Allen Reel,I have 3 & they are all beaut Reels.
My Allen I 7/8 weighs 7 ozs with a 30ft Shooting Head,100ft of running Line plus Backing,so the next size down might be better for a 4 or 5wt Rod.
I've also read where The Allen Lines are Good & also good Value.
Brian.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Here are of couple of options that will make you head butt your computer screen.

1. Remove some backing. For a 4 or 5 weight, you do not need a lot of backing. In a majority of situations, all a fly reel does is hold. It isn't until you hook up Homie that backing capacity and a good drag system come into play. Since you normally catch fish in the 8" to 15" range, it would be very rare if you'd hook up with Homie.

2. Cut about 10 feet of line off the back end. Do you really think that you are going to cast all 90 feet of your fly line?

If you plan on purchasing that VXP in a 4 or 5 weight, your Battenkill should do the job.

Dennis

Thanks for all the advice. I think the above speaks to me the most so far. It is a good reel once I get it repaired and I just need to get some line removed like you stated so everything fits better. It is a good size for the rod. I will update this at some point when I get everything worked out whether I upgrade reels or not.

Thanks all for taking the time to respond.