The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 11:59 AM

9piferad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Billy Pate Bonefish

Whoops, yes I meant right hand retrieve. My mistake. And yes, it is direct drive. They never really gave me a reason why they couldn't switch the reel, but I guess if nothing else, I will be able to get my money back if I don't like it. I guess only time will tell. Who knows, maybe someone could pick up their slack and make a conversion, but I'm not going to be holding my breath.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 AM

tj5485 is on a distinguished road

Buy it. It's a great reel
Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 AM

Done! At the price he offered it to me, I couldn't resist!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM

aglohm4 is on a distinguished road

You're going to enjoy that reel. Billy Pate reels have their reputation for a reason. In regards to the right-hand retrieve: you may find you don't want to spend the extra cash for the conversion kit if you'll be targeting bigger fish with it. When I started going for bigger saltwater fish on fly rods, I took a veteran's advice and switched my larger reels to my dominant hand. It took me about 2 days on the water for it to start feeling natural, but you'll benefit from almost no fatigue after long fights with strong, fast running fish; especially if you're reeling your arm off trying to get in 150 yrds of backing as that permit turns and heads for the boat. I admit it felt awkward at first, but now even on my trout rods I have to remind myself to reel with the left.

Just a thought...
Old 07-11-2012, 12:09 PM

Aglohm4, You have a great point, at least for right now I decided I would keep it RHW and see how I like that, I was kind of thinking getting setup like this made at least some sense. Im glad it worked out for someone else, and can't wait to get it on the water here soon. I didn't think I could go wrong for what I gave for the reel, and with the tibor and billy pate names together, I was really hoping it wouldn't be just garbage. Still waiting to see the reel, should be in the mail later this week... hopefully! Well, thank you for your insight sir and take care.
-Andrew
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 AM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The Bonefish is still in production so it can be switched to left hand wind. There is a 'kit' sold for around $75 that includes all the parts you need to do the switcharoo. For 150 + 75 to swap it out you'll have a good reel at about 1/2 price. Weight is not an issue for me when big game fishing, and compared to some of my reels the BP bonefish isn't bad. Don't wait any longer than you have to before scooping that up or the guy will find someone who'll give him more..........

Ard
Weight is not a problem for me either as I always sight fish on the flats so I'm not casting all day. If you are doing a lot of blind casting, the weight might be an issue. That said, the reel is a screaming buy, IMO, at that price assuming it has no major issues.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:06 PM

Well, I guess if nothing else, I will have a good workout on my hands! I am going to start with sight fishing on the flats down here in Texas for some Redfish until I get back home to Michigan in late September/early October for some salmon and Steelhead! Cant wait, later this week i'm going to try and give a few different rods to pair it up to, Iv heard a lot of good stuff about these TFO rods, even though I prefer a American made rod, but that can come later, for now Ill probably just take either a TFO or maybe a Ross, we will see. Take care,
-Andrew
Old 07-28-2012, 02:10 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9piferad View Post
Done! At the price he offered it to me, I couldn't resist!

I would not even have hesitated to buy that reel! Like posted before me they are worth 500+. Nice buy !
Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 PM

Well, I finally got it in my hands and the reel is smooth as butter! Here are some pictures to prove it happened
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by 9piferad; 08-01-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Bigger Pictures
Old 08-06-2012, 02:12 AM

sthpaw is on a distinguished road

You can always sell it to a lefty (like me) if you don't like it. I have a bonefish and a tarpon. Sent the old Tarpon in to Tibor for service and they replaced the shaft and gear for just the service charge. I was impressed with their service, but too bad they no longer carry parts for some of the older models. They might do a AR conversion to the other hand. The conversion used to be about $150 I think.