The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 03:36 PM

9piferad is on a distinguished road
Default Billy Pate Bonefish

Hey everybody,
I have a chance to buy a used Billy Pate Bonefish model for 150 dollars. I am wondering if its worth the price, I will be using it mainly for Redfish and maybe a little bit for Salmon on a 9 wt. It functions great, however it has a bit of wear to it and it looks as someone put it away still salty, but its not real bad, doesn't affect the performance of the reel at all. What is everyones input on it? Go or no-go?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 AM

fishindave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Billy Pate Bonefish

New they are $525-$550.....They are on the heavy side,(comparitivly speaking)..Drag system is wonderful....If it was pretty nice, It's a good bargin. The weight would be the biggest issue for me....Would you want to throw it all day?

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 07-03-2012, 05:06 AM

Well, even though it may be a bit heavy, I think I will go for it, it is in pretty good shape. It at least gives me something quality to start with, and I'll go from there after I have fished it for a while and see how I like it.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

for 150 you should pounce on that. Its one of the best reels out there.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 PM

Later this week it will be, told the guy ill take it. Only slight problem is it is a right hand retrieve, and I'm a righty. I have heard of right handed people using right hand retrieve reels, just so the line doesn't get caught up on the handle while they are stripping it in. So I guess ill give it a try!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9piferad View Post
Later this week it will be, told the guy ill take it. Only slight problem is it is a right hand retrieve, and I'm a righty. I have heard of right handed people using right hand retrieve reels, just so the line doesn't get caught up on the handle while they are stripping it in. So I guess ill give it a try!
Good luck! Right hand retrieve annoys the hell out of me.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The Bonefish is still in production so it can be switched to left hand wind. There is a 'kit' sold for around $75 that includes all the parts you need to do the switcharoo. For 150 + 75 to swap it out you'll have a good reel at about 1/2 price. Weight is not an issue for me when big game fishing, and compared to some of my reels the BP bonefish isn't bad. Don't wait any longer than you have to before scooping that up or the guy will find someone who'll give him more..........

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-04-2012, 01:54 AM

Biggie, never tried one myself, I guess the worst that I will have to do is send for the 75 dollar conversion.
Ard, Will do, the plan is later on this week for my mother to pick it up and ship it down here to texas for me, I figure while I'm down here for the next 3 months I might as well take advantage of it and try some saltwater fishing!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:20 AM

Well, the reel has been picked up. The transaction went without problems. From what I hear the reel is in great condition, from what I hear the only problem was the case was in a little rough shape, I guess if that is the biggest of my worries, I am in good shape! I emailed Tibor about the reel and apparently they no longer do conversions for direct drive reels, so looks like I will either have to adapt or sell later down the road, who knows I may like left hand retrieve. Well, I will be anticipating the reel in the mail! and the next task is finding a rod that the reel balances well with as from what everyone says it is a little on the heavy side.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good to hear all that except the part about the poor product support from Tibor. I was thinking we were talking about an anti reverse Bonefish....... Also, I was thinking the reel was set up for right hand wind...... I prefer left hand retrieve and you may grow into it as well.

Back to the product support thing; I had a wonderful Billy Pate Marlin anti reverse reel in unused condition that was right hand wind. I wanted to change it to left hand and they told me the same thing. Had I known that this outfit intends to not carry any parts for such simple desires as retrieve conversions for any of its popular reels I would not have given the reel the nod. I am accustomed to parts and support from reel manufacturers and sellers like Orvis and Hardy. These two companies will service any reel they ever sold. On that point alone I would not even consider a Tibor Spey or any of their other current models offered due to the apparent lack of concern for the customer once the money has changed hands.

I hope the reel gives you plenty of good service,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;