The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

View Poll Results: Which reel would you choose?
Lamson Konic 15 42.86%
Allen Trout 10 28.57%
Orvis Access mid-Arbor 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 07:41 PM

g22insc is on a distinguished road
Default Back in the game after 12 years and need a new reel

I began fly fishing in high school and kept at it through college; however, work took over after graduation and I didn't have the time anymore. Fast forward 12 years and now my six year old has started fishing. You know how that goes...I now have the "fly" itch again. I pulled my old setup out from the garage (see signature below) and brushed all the cobwebs off. I expected to find the line all cracked and breaking apart but actually looked ok. I know it needs to be replaced and that is when I started to thinking. What about a new reel?

I have decided to go ahead and pick myself up a new reel and reline the old one as a spare. I have somewhat decided between the following three reels:

1. Lamson Konic
2. Allen Trout
3. Orvis Acces mid-Arbor

What do you'll think? What would be best for my 5wt Trout rod without going overboard and breaking the bank? Which one is the best?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in the game after 12 years and need a new reel

Unless the reel is not working, I'll vote none of the above. Replace that line with something new and lace up the Crown! Those things are pretty darn cool and likely a perfect match for that rod. Having been out of the game for a while I'm sure you could spend the money on flies, tippet, leader, shot, who knows what else. Welcome back to fly fishing and to the board BTW.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Unless the reel is not working, I'll vote none of the above. Replace that line with something new and lace up the Crown! Those things are pretty darn cool and likely a perfect match for that rod. Having been out of the game for a while I'm sure you could spend the money on flies, tippet, leader, shot, who knows what else. Welcome back to fly fishing and to the board BTW.
What jaybo said...BUT if the question is which reel I think is best, then it's the Konic. In fairness, I have not fished the Allen reels.

-mike
Old 07-02-2012, 10:38 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

At this price point, I'd suggest the Allen Trout reels. I love the Waterworks Lamson product line and own(ed) virtually all of their products. While the Konic uses the same drag system, I was disappointed with the one I fished for an afternoon. Fit & finish, not operation, was my beef.
Almost all of my back-ups are Allens. I also use the Allen Trout when I travel -which last year was more days than fishing from home base.
Found it interesting that a MT guide I fished with (2011) was taken with the "Trout" enough that he indicated he would be using them for "client reels" in 2012.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:06 AM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

I would buy the American made Konic size 1.5. Very nice, virtually indestructable, sealed drag, a very nice reel.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:14 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'd do Orvis or Allen. Main reason, they are machined rather than cast. I have a Konic and it works great but if I was to do it again I'd go machined. Choosing between Orvis and Allen, I'd go aesthetics, which do you like the look of more?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:37 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

i love my trout reel from allen and they have great customer service. so i vote for them
Old 07-04-2012, 04:50 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Amongst my Reel collection which mostly all have been used & many still get used from time to time,the only make I don't own is a Lampson.
Both The Allen & The Older Orvis Reels are very reliable Reels.
Brian.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:55 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

My vote is the Orvis. In my years of flyfishing when I needed assistance orvis has always gone the extra effort.

Pete A.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 PM

g22insc is on a distinguished road

I know I could spend the money on other things but I really wanted a nice, new reel so I have one on the way. I was equally impressed with the on-line reviews of both the Allen Trout reel and the Lamson Konic. I checked the Allen page a few days ago and discovered the Trout reel was discontinued now and I'm not one to purchase a new tool at the end of its life cycle. I know they would still stand behind it for a while but I just don't like to do it. I went ahead and followed what seemed to be the overwhelming winner and should have a new Konic in my possession in a few days. Now just have to pickup a new line, throw it on the rod and take it for a spin during the family vacation in a few weeks on one of the Northeast GA rivers. Thanks guys.