The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Bauer Junior Mac 3

I have a BVK 7wt I want to upgrade the reel for. I love Bauers but must adhere to a budget. It will be replacing a Cabela's Premier Prestige III, decent reel but don't think it will last for salt use.

I've sold enough other toys to afford this reel new. Does anyone have experience with this reel versus the myriad of reels in this $240-300 price range?

Thanks in advance.

Pete A.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Bauer Junior Mac 3

No experience with that reel, but I'd take a hard look at the Lamson Litespeed 3 on SierraTradingPost.com at $249.

STP hasn't allowed Lamson products in their extra % off promos lately, so that's about as good of a price as you'll get.

Just a thought!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bauer Junior Mac 3

I don't fish a Junior Mac, but I fish a Mac Super Lite. The drag system is smooth from low to high. I have never had a backlash or a sticky start up.

However for saltwater usage, you need to make sure to spend some time on maintenance. Even though the disk is exposed, the internals are not. Removing the disk to get to the internals and putting it back together is a pain.

If you want a nice quality reel at the price point that you seek, there are plenty of options. The Litespeed that was mentioned is a good call. Also look at a Galvan Rush LT 6. Some on the forum like the newer Nautilus FWX series reels.

If you know how to play the eBay game, you could snipe an Abel Big Game 2, Big Game 3N, Super 6 large arbor (not the newer Super 6n), or Super 7 large arbor for a reasonable cost.

Dennis