The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default TFO 375 upgraded to ABEC#5, pic heavy

Just bought an TFO 375 that seemed outstanding. It however was a bit rough/noisy when spool was spun and drag was touchy. These was no easy to see corrosion, body/spool perfect. Below I go through my process, understand I fish mostly the hyper-saline Texas bay system and almost exclusively wade fishing (nobody poles us around). Most often this includes trudes through muddy salt grass to get to back bays. Of course the occasional full dunking. So corrosion is always a huge concern.

Once home and a full inspection was made the bearing were rough. I love that the bearing are quite accessible on this reel, will make long term maintenance easy. You can see open rust on bearing under drag plate.
Click the image to open in full size.

Hard to see in pic but two had rust and were very rough. I measured with caliper and compared to cool mouse pad Boca Bearing gives for free. They are standard sizes 8x14x5 and 8x16x5. Careful when measuring as you can do the classic 'measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, and cut with ax' and end up looking of odd ball wrong bearing. Standard sizes are the norm not exception. Custom bearing cost reel manufacturers huge, so think standard sizes first.

My choice is send back to TFO for their $25 require warranty payment +$10ish shipping, they then probably replace with exact corrosion prone OEM Bearing. I don't see that as a gain for me.

I instead contact Boca Bearings and buy ABEC#5 Stainless race w/Ceramic Ball indestructable lifetime bearings at $ 9.95 ea + $4 shipping = $33.85 which is probably less/same as shipping to TFO. Plus I find this enjoyable and have ABEC#5 & 7's in all my casting reels (12+) for years now.

Light application of Oust Met-Oil (smoothdrag.com) and these last a lifetime.

Very light coat of Cal's drag grease on drag (smoothdrag.com)

Light wipe of Penn grease to areas that could collect saltwater but are not easy to get to. Plus a bit to the anti-reverse bearing.

Very light wipe down with Corrosion X.

Please don't take this a jab at the TFO 375, it isn't. I love the reel, just made a good reel better. You have to 'surf' Boca Bearing and SmoothDrag.com websites. Awesome "techo-weenie" info.

Pete A,