The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J. W. Young Reels

Thank you David.
I like some of the newer reels out there today like my "ugly sister" Ross CLA's, but many of the newer styles just don't float my boat like the older reels. I find myself shopping more and more for reels made in the 80's and 90's and even further back, infact my understanding is that the JW Young 'Beaudex' I just purchased was made in the mid 50's. It's the grey/silver color and doesn't look like it has a scratch on it, I'm still in disbelief that I got it for the price I did. It must be all that clean, honest, and healthy living I'm doing.
imxer likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Thank you David.
I like some of the newer reels out there today like my "ugly sister" Ross CLA's, but many of the newer styles just don't float my boat like the older reels. I find myself shopping more and more for reels made in the 80's and 90's and even further back, infact my understanding is that the JW Young 'Beaudex' I just purchased was made in the mid 50's. It's the grey/silver color and doesn't look like it has a scratch on it, I'm still in disbelief that I got it for the price I did. It must be all that clean, honest, and healthy living I'm doing.
In my opinion the silver/gray is the prettiest of the lot. Does it look something like the reel on the left in this pic?

Click the image to open in full size.

And some more Youngs, et. al.:

Click the image to open in full size.

I think you're going to like that reel!

Pocono
fysh, kelkay and littledavid123 like this.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ding, ding, ding, we have winner! Yup, that's it Allan.
Pocono likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is my favorite color also. Looks like the Blind Pig has struck again...All hail the Blind Pig.

Dave
fysh likes this.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice buy Fysh ! That Beaudex is a beauty! Great price , good luck with it!
fysh likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Got the new/old Beaudex in the mail today and I must say it's an absolutely beautiful reel!

And the sound....is it possible that there's a prettier sounding reel than a Hardy? If this doesn't sound better than a Hardy, you'll never find one better. WOW!!

Last edited by fysh; 01-18-2013 at 08:01 PM.