The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 04:10 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Battenkill Bar Stock or Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
I was talking about the Access reel in particular. I could of sworn they just went up in price though. Any thoughts on that Penn reel lube? I appreciate the thoughts on the differences between the two Orvis reels.
I can't imagine that one brand or another of reel lube makes enough difference to void a warranty. I have never even thought about it with my own reels -- I just use whatever I have handy -- but if you're worried, call their 800 customer service number and ask.

Orvis used to sell Boeshield T-9 lubricating spray and recommended it for cleaning and maintaining just about any reel. I still have a can of it. I have some other stuff too but that's what I usually reach for. I love that stuff. It has a solvent for releasing old gunk and dirt, and it dries to a waxy finish that lubricates and protects from corrosion without leaving any sticky oil or grease to catch dust. Good old WD-40 is available almost anywhere and not bad either. But if you've already got some Hot Sauce or another grease or lube you like, I don't see how it could hurt.
kelkay likes this.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:03 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your thoughts. I do have Boeshield, and use it to clean first, then I usually give it a bath, then wax, then lube.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I use hot sauce on my Hardys and CFO 123 and have always been pleased. The only thing I've done to lube my mid arbor bar stock is add some hot sauce to the post.

I'll send my reels to you in the off season for some TLC kelkay
Old 11-16-2012, 07:04 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I like that Hot Sauce too. I read about using the Yamalube, and it is good too, and much cheaper. It is not as fluid as the Hot Sauce. I am thinking of adding a little oil and mixing it up with the grease, to make it easier to apply. The Yamalube Multi-Purpose grease is red as well.

I seem to be cleaning reels frequently. The worst cleaning comes from a new (to me) vintage Ebay reel. Some of them were so filthy, you wouldn't believe it. I don't mind cleaning my fly reels. Especially after that initial clean, and wax. But I don't need extra reels to do...lol. I am not up on cleaning the newer reels yet. I have the click and pawl ones pretty much down. I am happy that I now know how to clean my own reels. I have cleaned my two Allen reels, with no problem. The Okuma looked a bit more challenging, but I never tore all the way into it, long story. Look at that thread. The techs at Okuma had to work on that one. They did a good job on it too.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Disassemble a Billy Pate reel (carefully) sometime if you want to see a cleaning nightmare. Conversely, I chided the gentlemen from Hatch Reels because I could not find a surface to lube. I settled on the captive threaded spool retainer. A long time ago I met the great Stan Bogdan at angling reception and asked, "Mr. Bogdan, you know more about reel making than anyone, what lubricant do you recommend for optimal maintenance?" He stroked his chin, cast a glance upward and said,"Oh, 30 weight crankcase oil as long as its not too dirty." I took a sip of my whiskey and understood that as long as you keep your reels clean and oiled you were OK. Having said that, I recently fished out a specialized reel I haven't used since the early 90's and was surprised and disappointed to discover its medium viscosity, Teflon impregnated T-Gun lube that I used back then had gummed up badly to the extent I can not remove the spool! It is sitting on my desk awaiting my procrastinating decision as to how I am going to deal with this. I have not tried Hot Sauce but you are all recommending it so I will. If you go to a major show like Somerset that Hardy has a booth at, talk to their reel expert and he will gift you a wee bottle of official Hardy reel oil, this is good stuff too.
kelkay likes this.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:53 AM

You could spray the fire outta that reel with Boeshield, or Corrosion X, and let it sit overnight. If it still won't work, I'd soak it for a bath. Then try to loosen it. Then spray again if it doesn't come loose. I love the feel of a newly lubed reel. Smooth as butter.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:02 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I'll report back...