The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Battenkill Bar Stock or Access (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/295309-battenkill-bar-stock-access.html)

kelkay 08-30-2012 07:09 PM

Battenkill Bar Stock or Access

If you have tried both, which do you prefer? I heard they quit making the Battenkill. But if it is made better than the Access, I'd rather have that. This is for around December. I won't be getting one any time soon. But I wanted to hear opinions.

sweetandsalt 09-01-2012 08:45 AM

Re: Battenkill Bar Stock or Access

I have a Battenkill Bar-Stock mid-arbor and it is a good reel, well machined and assembled in, I think, Korea. I fish it in a small size for a #4 outfit and consdier it to have classic looks and sounds plus a capable drag. I think the Access (made in China) though OK has lower aesthetic values and apeal. The next model up (all the Orvis reels are designed by Orvis but made in China), the Hydros is better. I am fishing one of these on a 6-weight and it is a capable but not charming reel. In this price/performance range I prefer the Hardy Ultralite DD (Korea) and Nautilus FWX (Miami).

kelkay 09-01-2012 08:54 AM

Thanks. I didn't know they were all made in China. :eek:

gt05254 09-01-2012 12:35 PM

Kelly, I've used Battenkill mid-arbors for some time now. They've made some changes, apparently, and now they are called Access mid-arbors. A close friend bought a couple of those and likes them. I've landed 20 pound atlantics with the Battenkill mid-arbor...it'll stop a freight train if you want it to. I suggest the IV for 7/8 wt and the V for 9/10. They are made in Korea, which has a far longer and better history of machining than the Chinese. They are well made, attractive reels. The Access mid-arbors may well be made in China. Dunno.

Um, in a self-serving moment, I have to admit that I have two of the V's and one of the IV's on ebay right now. Have to finance the Hardy Marquis Salmon's that I've moved to for my salmon fishing. They are the Battenkill mid-arbors.

Gary

kelkay 09-01-2012 01:05 PM

Gary, are those the only two sizes made in Korea? I mostly use 5-6 wt reels. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. :D

gt05254 09-01-2012 01:19 PM

No, Kelly, those are the only two I have used. They definately made a III, and probably a II. I bet the III would be nice on 6wts.

One thing is certain: Orvis stands by their products, no matter where they are made. If you live anywhere near one of their stores, it'd be worth a stop to check out the reels in person. I can only really vouch for the quality (excellent!) of the B-kill mid arbors. Watch the auction site; they come up fairly often.

Good luck!!
Gary

kelkay 09-01-2012 01:50 PM

Alrighty then, thanks Gary! :D

gt05254 09-01-2012 02:55 PM

Always a pleasure, Kelly.
Gary

kelkay 09-01-2012 04:35 PM

Likewise Gary! ;)

dean_mt 09-01-2012 05:37 PM

I don't experience with the new Battenkill bar stock (BBS) but I have the old version, Battenkill click and pawl. It is a great little reel, I've had it for probably 15 years. Nothing fancy by any means, has an open face for your "palm drag" and is perfectly suitable for trout fishing. They are readily available on ebay. Made in England and very affordable.

Otherwise, like Gary said, I would worry too much about the made in China...it doesn't have to be a red flag. Reputable companies have factories in China that make quality things. Everything that's made in China is not junk.