The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 10:34 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Okuma Integrity fly reel question

Kel, I know from my own experience that most dealers on Ebay are honest, but is it possible the reel you have may been previously taken apart & a material such as Loc-Tite used for re-assembly?

I've bought several reels, fly reels, baitcasters & spinning reels, from Ebay sellers, both private & business sellers, and have gotten a few that were returns or dealer sample/display models. As far as I know, all were described as such.

Have not had any issues, but would not rule out the possibility that any of the reels I've purchased as "new" were not as they came from the factory. You just don't know.

I've also become quite a fan of Okuma reels. I own several Integrity's & Sierra's and for the price & what I use them for, they're a well made product & a very good value IMO. I have used some of the Integrity reels in brackish water, but not true salt, so have yet to see the need to take them completely apart. I also use a product on my reels called Salt-X which does a great job of removing any salt that may be there. No problems as yet.

Okuma has become a sponsor on a bass fishing site I visit frequently, and some of their people post there frequently. Seem to be very knowledgeable about their products, and fishing, plus very concerned about their customers, potential customers & the service they provide.

Kel, as a last resort, you may consider removing the line & sending the reel to Okuma to see what they can do with it.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I believe it was new, as described. It didn't have a mark on it. It was pristine. Anything is possible I guess, but in this case, I believe the seller sold me a brand new product.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Well, actually I only have one now that I cannibalized the old one to fix the new one. I know that it is up to the task of a 28" striper, that I can promise you!
kelkay likes this.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Well I got a follow up on the Okuma reel. I got it back and it looks great.
<<<They replaced the standard rulidium drag washers with the updated cork drag washers. You will notice a smoother and more consistent drag pressure. The main shaft screw is reverse threaded >>>
The first time I asked, I was told it was a standard threaded screw. But then later the guy told me it was REVERSE THREADED. So if anyone gets one of these reels, please note that the MAIN SHAFT SCREW IS REVERSE THREADED. I am pleased. I am gonna try it out and see what I think. Hopefully I can land a fish big enough to try that new drag system out. I may like it so much, I may just have to acquire a spare spool for it.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:42 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Kel, that's awesome! Sounds like they took good care of you then!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM

Yes, I am happy about the deal now. It makes me feel a little better too. Thanks Jim.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:21 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear your reel is back in action Kel. Here's to putting some fish on that drag. I had one several years ago and I used it for GL Steelhead. No problems whatsoever. Very nice reels for the money.

Of all people I'd have expected to respond, he hasn't. Paging Okuma
kelkay likes this.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:01 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

You summoned me sir?Love the Integrity reel. Yet...my first love of Okuma reels is the Sierra.