The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 06:08 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Okuma Integrity fly reel question

Does anyone here have an Okuma Integrity fly reel? I have had one for quite a while, but have not broke it down for a full cleaning until now. I have only used the reel maybe 4-5 times. (it is a 7-8wt reel, and I usually use a 5-6wt) I am having trouble loosening the main shaft screw. Usually they turn to the left to loosen. I am not sure if this is a reverse screw, but I wouldn't think so. I have tried the widest flat head screwdriver I have on hand, and cannot get it to loosen up. If you have one of these, and know if it is a regular screw, or reverse, please let me know. I don't want to mess the screw up even more, by turning it the wrong direction.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Okuma Integrity fly reel question

Kel, I own a couple of those reels, but can't answer your question, never tried it.

You might try asking Okuma directly,

Phone: 909-923-2828
Email: service@okumafishing.com

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Thank you Jim!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM

I still have not received an email back from them. I tried to call, but the guy who handles this, was not at his desk, I guess. I did not leave a message. I guess tomorrow I will have to call back. (I called again, but it was after hours) I sprayed a bunch of Boeshield all around the screw, hoping it would loosen up. I have never seen one of these be a reverse screw. I tried once again, and all I did was mar the screw up, trying to loosen it. I am gonna have to order a new one. That is IF I can get this one OFF. This has been very frustrating to say the least.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM

Called them today. He said it was a standard thread. So if anyone else has this trouble, you will know.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

sorry for the late reply.
i've owned a few integritys(nice,smooth reel) and have never had any issues at all.
my only question would be, if its a reel you bought used that perhaps the previous owner applied loc-tite to the screw

casey

ARFE
Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 PM

I love my reel. I am the original owner. I bought it a couple of years ago, or so. I have only used it a few times. (it is a larger wt reel than I normally use.) I usually use a 5-6 wt. This reel is a 7-8wt. I love the drag on this reel. I decided to lube it and get it ready for this fall. I have finally cleaned all my fly reels, but this one. I am gonna try it one more time. If I can't loosen it, I will have to have a friend try it. I have 8wt line on this reel. I normally use a 6-7 wt rod, and below. I only have one 8wt rod, and it hurts my back to cast it. That is why this reel has not had more use. The reel is awesome. I can't wait to see inside of it, now that I finally am learning how to clean reels by myself.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:05 PM

Well I took the reel to a friend's house today. He couldn't get it loose either. He said some of the screws on the opposite side were really tight. He thought the manufacturer used some type of Loc-Tite on the screws. There was something black and hard on those screws. I am gonna have to call Okuma back and find out what the deal is. I don't understand why they would use Loc-Tite, if they did. You have to clean and lube the reel. This did not say it was a sealed reel. I don't believe it is. (if it is, they would of had that on the description of it)

Last edited by kelkay; 09-23-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I've had two Integrity reels and have stripped them down with no problem at all. Neither had any type of LocTite or such on it that I noticed. I love the reels.

My first one, a 7/8, was used primarily for saltwater, which is not really what it was built for, and I always flushed it thoroughly after each outing. After about 9 years, the salt finally got to it (I think I failed it in the last cleaning). The second one, a 8/9, I bought at an outdoors show at a bargain and months later discovered that the drag was defective. I suspect it was a returned item that was sold as new...the only Okuma I have ever had such a problem with. Having no warranty card, I stripped it down and rebuilt it with parts from the drag on my old one. It's a perfectly fine reel now. I'll buy another with no reservations, but only from a shop that I know and trust.

If you reach the point of giving up, I'd try some penetrating oil on the offending screws. At that point, what have you got to lose? Just keep it out of the drag.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Well, that is a relief. I bought this reel new from a dealer on Ebay. I have not used the reel in salt water... I have size 8 wt line on it. I use this line if I want to go after freshwater stripers, or freshwater redfish. There is one power plant cooling reservoir that is somewhat reasonable for me to drive there. The redfish have been in deeper water though. I thought the Okuma reel would be up to the task of either of those species, or carp. I have also wanted to catch a decent sized carp. I read the Okuma would be up to the job, and was within my price range. I am happy to hear you have two of these reels and that they were not a problem to open up.