The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By chased
  • 2 Post By kayo
  • 2 Post By mike63
  • 1 Post By Jackster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 09:21 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road
Default How is a click/pawl drag adjusted?

I like the looks of the more classic reels but need some info on how the drag is adjusted. Unlike disc drag I assume you have to set the tension internally, i.e., you can't really adjust it with a fish on correct?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:43 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How is a click/pawl drag adjusted?

I also love the click and sound of the classics. Mostly all of the click pawl reels have some sort of drag adjustment knob or tension screw that is easily accessible while fighting a fish. I usually set mine just tight enough so the line doesn't backlash when it pull it off of the reel. I apply the drag with a finger on the spool or palming the rim of the spool. On reels like the Hardy Lightweight series, the drag control is located on the rim of the reel. On the Hardy Marquis, Orvis CFO, Cortland Retro, etc. there is a drag adjustment knob on the face of the reel. On some super small reels such as the Hardy Flyweight, there is no drag adjustment. Don't think that you can't land a good size fish using a click pawl reel, that is simply not true. Hope this helped a little.

-Chase
imxer, Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:44 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

your hand palm
wt bash and woodrivertroutbum like this.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:25 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Like chased said there's usual a knob that applies more or less tension to the flat spring that controls the pressure on the pawl
If you need a finer adjustment you can (very carefully) remove the spring and bend it slightly the desired direction. Don't be too aggressive doing this as replacement springs are not readily available.....
I know this first hand as I have a reel staring me in the face at this moment that needs a new one
Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

I really like the looks of the older black CFO reels made in England for Orvis.
imxer and Hardyreels like this.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Mike,

Have you cruised through the 'Reel Love The Fly Reel Picture Thread' yet? Lots of everything there including plenty of click and pawl reels from many makers. The thread is in the Fly Reels forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Some click and pawl reels will have dual pawls. The way the pawls are oriented will allow a bit more drag in one direction and less in the other.
I believe the old CFO's used two pawls and maybe the Hardy clickers. I have a picture of the pawls mounted in the proper orientation for a left hand retrieve banging around in this hard drive somewhere. If this will help you out I'll post it.
The Abel Creek series pawls are definately made to be oriented for more or less drag. I can take a shot of its guts too if you like.
Some dragless reels have a caged frame so a palming rim isn't accessable. On this type using your finger on the spooled line as a drag seems to work.
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by Jackster; 09-28-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

As Hardy used to write in their reel literature; these reels feature a "check" to prevent line over run as a trout streaks for cover. As all have posted above, the spring load on pawl and spring reels can be adjusted to a modest degree but rarely to the extent that one would consider it a drag. Orvis marketed a "Presentation" model made in Junine de los Andes, Argentina, that employed coil rather than leaf springs and it had a stouter check than most. It was machined and anodized too. HR, I'll photograph one for the "Reel" thread soon. One palms the rim or fingers the line running off the inside of the spool to apply drag quite effectively with our classic reels.

It is remarkable, considering the loud objection to the dimunition of skill need to fly fish when the earliest trout sized reels featuring a real drag were introduced in the '80s, how enamored we (including me) have become of them!