The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Best 12wt Fly Reel

Something I'm not quite sure of here, are you going to use this reel for salt water fishing only?

Provided you don't engage in dunking the reel or tossing the rig onto the sand (another no no) a cork draw drag should be fine. While the reels suggested are good tackle items there is always the Gorilla in the room wearing the price tag. If cost is not a consideration then the choices are many.

One thing I will say regarding service from manufacturers on reels; I had a Tibor Marlin that needed a part. The people at that company were fairly curt in telling me flatly that they no longer carried parts for the reels. Now that made an impression! Yes, they make some really nice reels but 10 years down the river will they discontinue the reel and fail to inventory parts for those in service. The experience with the Marlin made up my mind for me, even though I really like the Tibor Spey reels I will not buy one. I'll buy and use old Orvis Vortex reels because if I have a service need they will be there for me even though the reels are old and I'm not the original owner.

I don't make a habit of whining about some company who didn't treat me 'special' but the Tibor experience was not good. If the day ever comes when the people at Orvis treat me like a second class angler because my reel is 12 years old I'll be sure to let everyone know about that too.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-02-2012, 09:45 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

A lot of very good reels mentioned here, but I'll stick with my Islanders. Yes, they are cork drag type reels, and I like it! Other than a bit of oil, I have never needed any other maintenance. Their machining tolerances are equal to any out there....and none of mine have ever been "jerky".

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:35 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
A lot of very good reels mentioned here, but I'll stick with my Islanders. Yes, they are cork drag type reels, and I like it! Other than a bit of oil, I have never needed any other maintenance. Their machining tolerances are equal to any out there....and none of mine have ever been "jerky".
Islander is a brand I don't give enough credit.

Here in NorCal, I see many steelheaders with Islander reels on their single handers and two handers.

They are very well made. The tolerances are tight. The finish is superb. And the drag units are very reliable.

Like most draw bar style disk drag reels, Islander products just need a some regular maintenance. A little lovin' goes a long way.

Dennis

PS: I also see many centerpin fishermen using Islander reels.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:04 PM

huibgeselschap is on a distinguished road

Billy Pate Tarpon is not a bad one either... time tested