The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 01:08 PM

cboz76 is on a distinguished road
Default Hatch Reels

Anyone own or has used a Hatch reel. They look pretty awesome and the drag system seems like it's the best. I was looking at a 9plus or 12plus reel for tarpon. Any suggestions?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:00 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hatch Reels

Great reels, among the very best, but refer to my "12 Weight Reel" response to you in this same forum.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:02 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I owned a couple, to be blunt, their drags left me wanting more...

In the same price range (Danielsson, Nautilus, Hardy Fortuna X) there is better options regarding the drag...

Simply my opinion...
Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I like all the reels you mentioned and the Fortuna may be the strongest drag but what issues did you have with Hatch? I have used a 7+ bonefishing and it was great.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 PM

dave7777 is on a distinguished road

I just acquired a Hatch Typhoon 5 wt. It appears to be extremely well made and sturdy. The drag has not yet been "challenged" but I have read good comments, along with the luke warm comments in this forum. I also use a Nautilus FWX and Ross F1, both of whcih I can fully endorse.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I like all the reels you mentioned and the Fortuna may be the strongest drag but what issues did you have with Hatch? I have used a 7+ bonefishing and it was great.
I too had a 7+ and with mine, I had to basically CRANK the drag all the way to come up with any sort of real stopping power, talking 8 pound Maxima UG tippet and still had issues getting enough drag. I know many many others who had same issues...

The build quality was superb, but I was not very impressed with the drag...

Drag was super smooth, very low start up intertia, just wanted more balls I guess is the best way to put it...
Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I had a talk with a guy from the Hatch office a few years back. The engineers at Hatch chose a certain density for the Rulon disks. They felt that it offered a wide range of drag adjustment. It also offered a very low start up inertia. It sacrificed some high end drag which became a complaint.

If a person is dead set on having a higher drag setting, he could send in the reel to have denser disks installed. This will offer more stopping power.

Personally, I think the drags are fine. I have tested Hatch reels on Steelhead, Tarpon, Dorado, Jack Crevalle, and Skipjack Tuna.

Dennis
Old 10-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I had a talk with a guy from the Hatch office a few years back. The engineers at Hatch chose a certain density for the Rulon disks. They felt that it offered a wide range of drag adjustment. It also offered a very low start up inertia. It sacrificed some high end drag which became a complaint.

If a person is dead set on having a higher drag setting, he could send in the reel to have denser disks installed. This will offer more stopping power.

Personally, I think the drags are fine. I have tested Hatch reels on Steelhead, Tarpon, Dorado, Jack Crevalle, and Skipjack Tuna.

Dennis
What you say makes sense as it had a very wide range of drag, just lacked the high end I was looking for...

I like putting the boots to fish, don't really care if I straighten hooks sometimes or lose a fish here and there, easy come, easy go, fun to horse em!

Different strokes for different folks, the guy I sold my Hatch too, loved it...

I still have one of them, just never use it, maybe I will send it in and have it beefed up...
Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM

civicrr is on a distinguished road

I'm using the Hatch 7+ (Monsoon & one Finatic) with both 8wt & 9wt rods. I'm fishing the Cal Delta & San Luis Reservoir for stripers. Honestly, I haven't caught any fish that have really tested the drag - largest a 22lb'r.

The reels are definitely well made. Tolerances seem tight & they've been trouble free. I've had zero problems with them.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:08 PM

And more about these Hatch reels; they are totally solid, vibration and shake free. No parts to loose, nothing to lubricate and no surfaces to get errant coils of line caught up on. Great feel, sound, perfect spool width to depth ratio and just a pleasure to fish. I have an early 5+ on a Sage Z-Axis for big river trout fishing and a 7+ mated to a Scott S4s #8 for bonefishing. Forget the trout outfit where the 5+'s smoothness and consistent fine tuneability are paramount, I have never cranked the 7+ drag to anything approaching dead stop max and I like to put the screws to bones to bring them in green so they have something left in the tank to out swim the sharks upon release.

I have not used a Hatch in a big size for little tuna or tarpon but would like to and they might be overkill on a 3-weight. In the middle sizes that I own there are very few other reels that equal their quality of design and performance.