The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Large arbor for 10wt? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/297929-large-arbor-10wt.html)

kc8qvo 09-27-2012 09:28 PM

Large arbor for 10wt?

I am looking around at some reels for a 10wt rod. Everything I have now is Orvis but there are some other interesting options out there.

I want to have a strong set up that will take bigger fish without failing. That having been said, I also don't want to break the bank either.

Some of the reels I've looked at are Aleka, Ross, TFO, Sage, and some others. Where are they made? Are there any other options you would recommend? Are there any you would NOT recommend? The Alekas seem to have the more traditional cork friction disks, are those any good or are the modern methods a lot better? Does anyone know where the Orvis Hydros is made?

williamhj 09-27-2012 09:42 PM

Re: Large arbor for 10wt?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc8qvo (Post 486818)
Does anyone know where the Orvis Hydros is made?

It's made in China

caseywise 09-27-2012 09:43 PM

sage reels too.

argail 09-27-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kc8qvo (Post 486818)
I am looking around at some reels for a 10wt rod. Everything I have now is Orvis but there are some other interesting options out there.

I want to have a strong set up that will take bigger fish without failing. That having been said, I also don't want to break the bank either.

Some of the reels I've looked at are Aleka, Ross, TFO, Sage, and some others. Where are they made? Are there any other options you would recommend?

interesting question interest you as well as me, where did the product made...
company that you wrote Aleka, TFO, Sage, Orvis - shy :) to write in their own websites where their product is made, exception Roos Ross Reels proudly put the U.S. flag on the right of the pics reels (not all Roos reels made in USA)
my recommendation: Premium Fly Fishing Reels - Nautilus Reels Bauer Fly Reels
and a little advice to see other topics, such issues have already surfaced on the forum!

caseywise 09-27-2012 10:34 PM

now for a reel that is getting rave reviews across the web-
the allen alpha II.

Alpha II Reel - Allen Fly Fishing Store

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server46....1280.1280.png

sweet reel, awesome company!!

casey

argail 09-27-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseywise (Post 486822)
sage reels too.

I think, they are made in South Korea :D (not sure about models 500$+ )

44runner 09-27-2012 11:46 PM

2 excellent reels that won't break the bank:
Redington Rise II 9/10
The Waterworks Lamson Guru 4

Enjoy.

axle27 09-28-2012 06:49 AM

I'd go with the Alpha. But, I'd dig around and find a Battenkill LA IV. I have one on my 10wt.

sweetandsalt 09-28-2012 07:55 AM

Allen informed us in another thread that their reels are sourced from China as are Orvis's current offerings and other good reels. I think the Sage reels, like many of the newer, very fine Hardys are made in S. Korea.

Reels are hard to recomend but there are many US-built large arbor #10 reels: Ross F1, Nautilus NV, Hatch 9+, Abel Super, Tibor Riptide just to name a handfull for you to reasearch.

gt05254 09-28-2012 08:38 AM

I love and have several of the old Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor IV's and V's made in England. I use the V on a 10 wt. They can be found on the auction site with some regularity. Expect to pay about $200. I've landed some mighty big atlantic salmon and bonefish with them...great drag!
Gary