The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 PM

labnut2 is on a distinguished road
Default Help-Abel Reel Foot Number

I was thinking of purchasing a used Abel Super Series 3N reel that is listed on Craigslist. The seller (wife of deceased husband) doesn't know much about the reel and I haven't had a chance to look at it since we're 50 miles apart. The number on the reel foot is 568. Does anybody know what the reel foot number refers to or references? Abel is closed until Monday.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help-Abel Reel Foot Number

It is just a serial number for that model.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 PM

labnut2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it referenced some features of the reel like Sage does (i.e. 486-4 (meaning 4 weight, 8'6", 4-piece)). I'm still a little confused as I looked at other Abel Super 3N reels on ebay (completed listings) and they had a reel foot number other than 568 but I also saw several other Abel reels of another model listed on ebay with the same reel foot number?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by labnut2 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it referenced some features of the reel like Sage does (i.e. 486-4 (meaning 4 weight, 8'6", 4-piece)). I'm still a little confused as I looked at other Abel Super 3N reels on ebay (completed listings) and they had a reel foot number other than 568 but I also saw several other Abel reels of another model listed on ebay with the same reel foot number?
Interesting, you could be right, I have never owned one, I was just looking at the Abel web site. Is the gal sure it is a 3N, wondering if it isn't a 5N. Take a look at this link and scroll down to the chart:

Abel Reels - Super Series

I went back and took another look, they make the 3N is a standard arbor and a large arbor, I was looking at the large arbor specs. The standard arbor will work on a 5 or 6 wt line.

Larry

Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I've got a pt.5 and a Creek, the Pt.5 has a 6 digit serial number on the foot , the creek has AC1 on it for Able Creek 1. Sorry I can't be more help, 3N should be stamped on the drag, as mentioned earlier capacity is dependent on arbor size, I don't Know why capacity would be stamped on the reel body and not the spool.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure the number on the real has to do with a production number as opposed to providing specific information on reel capacity. From the Abels I have looked at, the lower the number, the earlier they were in the production of that specific model.

This is mostly speculation on my part.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:31 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I own several Abels, and I can tell you with confidence that it is simply the sequential number in the production of that particular model of reel.

It does not designate any capacity or other features. The specs are based on it being a Super 3N, which is the smallest of the Super Series reels.

I hope this helps.