The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pfake Pflueger(?) Medalist garage sale find. (pic heavy) Questions.

Level lines were common and cheap.
Fly fishing wasn't always about having the latest and the greatest, it's just the way people fished.
Many people fished live bait on their fly rods back then too and you sure didn't need a tapered line for that.
Try to cast it with a fly, it's not difficult
Old 10-20-2012, 08:00 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have a couple shakespeare Omni 44 reels, look pretty close to yours, Pflueger made them for the shakespeare company I believe, they still work, drag still works and reels are very usable, one I got at a garage sale, or on Ebay, can't remember now, the other is the first fly reel I ever bought, along with my first glass rod - both hang on my wall now, but both could be picked up and used today if I wanted to.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Careful..... the screws fall out
RIP is correct about the screws coming out! I took a guy down to the Green this past summer, he hadn't fly fished in 10 years and had this old fly rod he bought at a sale for $1, still had the sticker on it and the reel was just like the one you have pictured. The interesting thing was his outfit also had a piece of mono attached to the fly line. I cut that off and added a new leader/tippet combo. He landed a really nice brown trout (18-19") and after a photo of the fish he discovered that his reel had exploded, several of the screws had fallen out. Luckily, I had brought along a spare outfit for him to use.

Larry

Old 10-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
The line is level !! It looks to be about a 4W. Was this common line in the 60s? For what in God's clean water do you use a level fly line?
Think of a level line as a double taper without the taper.
It's going to cast just fine, it's just not going to land very gracefully

That looks like a L6F to me. I have a 5wt in front of me and it appears to be a good deal thinner
Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Also consider the use of mono when nymphing in fast water as it will sink faster than the heavy butt section of a standard tapered leader. Lake nymphing, when trying to go deep is another application for mono.

Larry

Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Not level leader Larry. Level line, as in a L6F opposed to a DT6F or a WF6F

Last edited by Rip Tide; 10-20-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Not level leader Larry. Level line, as in a L6F opposed to a DT6F or a WF6F
My mistake, sorry!

Larry

Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
The line is level !! It looks to be about a 4W. Was this common line in the 60s? For what in God's clean water do you use a level fly line?

Click the image to open in full size.
These were the 'precursor' to true Double Taper lines. Well, price wise. Cheap as chips, worked and for the casual angler, did he care?