The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 04:28 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Pfake Pflueger(?) Medalist garage sale find. (pic heavy) Questions.

I talked the guy down from $5 to $4 so it is worth that for decorative purposes, but the drag seems to work nicely. I've looked at some online info. There were Medalists made in Japan starting in 1979 according to this web site., but I can't find any photos. The only mark is "Japan" on the reel foot - the writing on the spool cover has been rubbed away or maybe never existed (doubt it).

Here are some pretty good photos - I know there were a lot of Medalist clones made in Japan. Can anybody shed some light as to the maker of this reel? Year made? any other details or insights would be cool.

Also, does that line look familiar to anyone?

Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 09-30-2012, 04:58 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pfake Pflueger(?) Medalist garage sale find. (pic heavy) Questions.

I have one that's nearly identical right down to the same "JAPAN" on the bottom of the foot.
The only difference is that on mine, the spool latch cover it says "Hi 1857"
I always thought the the "Hi" was just some Japanese tackle company but I've since been informed that it was really H-I as in Horrocks & Ibitson.
I got this reel sometime around 1964-65 and still use it occasionally
Careful..... the screws fall out
Noiso likes this.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:29 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I've never seen that reel before. It is definitely a clone. You can use Loctite for the screws. I use the blue color if necessary.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:08 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Well there is an Horrocks Ibbitson 1856 on eBay. Lo and behold! it is missing screws. I intend to use this reel with a 1960's glass rod (when I find one for the right price!) so I was hoping it was circa 1960's. I will make sure those screws are secure.

Seems Horrocks Ibbitson is known as a maker of crappy bamboo rods (Classic and Antique Fly Fishing Tackle, A.J. Campbell 1997.) No wonder they were so quick to adopt the "ship our jobs over seas" model.

I didn't find too much info on their reels. For four bucks I cannot complain - especially if it functions!

Thanks for the help guys!
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiso View Post
Seems Horrocks Ibbitson is known as a maker of crappy bamboo rods
You gotta realize that before the spinning reel was invented, most everyone fished with a fly rod. Fly rod fishing (and often with bait) was proportionally more popular then than it is today and few people needed or could afford the best.
Companies like H-I, Montague, South Bend and a few others produced many thousands of "blue collar" fly rods both crappy and not so crappy.
I have an 9' H-I Governor, and while that's not one of their best, it's worth using.
However H-I rods like the two piece Tonka series (King, Queen, Prince, Princess) along with some others are quite desirable and collectable
Old 10-01-2012, 03:59 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

And the line appears to be braided silk.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I don't know about that... coated nylon I think. Maybe a Sunset or a Gladdings
... if it burns it's silk, if it melts it's nylon
Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I don't know about that... coated nylon I think. Maybe a Sunset or a Gladdings
Thanks guys. It sure doesn't feel like silk - more like vinyl coated. Think it is a period 60's line? It seems to stay pretty straight when you take it from the reel. There is no backing and some joker attached a bunch of mono to it like they used it to bait fish. We'll see if it floats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
... if it burns it's silk, if it melts it's nylon
heheh. I think I will keep it out of the campfire.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Interesting camp picture there that would definitely ruin a trip eh?

The line reminds me of my first fly line which was a Gladding product circa 68' or so. It's always neat to find out whether the lines that come with old reels will be salvageable or not. The line that came on the old Martin MG - 7 I posted to the Reel thread had a good Rocket Taper that looks like a #6 on it in ivory. I looks hardly used

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-19-2012, 11:46 AM

I took a closer look at the line with the guy from my local Orvis shop (I keep getting and using the $25 off a $50 purchase coupons - I'll take 50% off all day)

The line is level !! It looks to be about a 4W. Was this common line in the 60s? For what in God's clean water do you use a level fly line?