The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 20lb_steelie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM

20lb_steelie is on a distinguished road
Talking Custom fly reel handles for Lamson Guru?

Has anybody had experience with the replacement handles they're selling for the Guru? I own several Guru sizes, anybody used these before? Here's a link to see what I'm talking about

Lamson Guru replacement reel handle - RED - Made by Swift-Current, CUSTOM | eBay

Thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all
Default Re: Custom fly reel handles for Lamson Guru?

No experience with this ebay product, but I would think that Lamson would just give you a free one as a replacement for your reel. Their customer service is excellent.

Oh! also welcome to the forum.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I'm all for it as IMHO the Lamson handles are a weak point. I do mean structurally but just plain feel. Pretty weak effort on their part.

This knob looks to have a bit more knob to provide a better purchase if having to reel in on a larger weight rod.

I'm going to buy one to see if it fits on my Konic 4. Will report back my results.

Pete A.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 PM

Thanks guys! I tend to read a lot more than I write, but I may try one out and report back as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Pricie, but the yellow one has low light promise.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

They look nice for big game. Wet cold fingers and the stock handles kind of sucks. I have been meaning to turn a couple of my own out of different exotic woods.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:15 PM

Got mine the other day, they have some on auction for cheaper than the buy it now price.

Tough choice between the blue and green, but I went with the green (also had red, yellow and black). It fits my Guru 2 (only tested it on that one) and looks great. A lot more meaty than the factory handle. Simple to install, and I can always go back to the factory handle if I wanted to (although I doubt that).

Next time I go fishing I'll post a photo or two.

woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I ordered one on the chance it would fit my Konic 4. E-mail'd them discussing this and that the risk was on me. They report they weren't sure it would but were deeply interested seeing what results are.

Got it and the handle is well made & I like the contour. Not too big or garish. Huge improvement on the IMHO weakly designed Lamson Handle. My Konic 4's on a 10wt and just couldn't imagine reeling in 50-100yds of line in a fight with a Bonito or King with that lame OEM pencil handle.

It doesn't fit which is no suprisre but the changes to fit Konic are not huge. Sent dimensions and pics to the company. They are woking on a "test" handle for Konic's based on this info. As soon as they have a trial unit they'll will forward to me to test.

I suggested some subdued colors for old timers like me; wood, smoke brown, etc. They are looking into this, however the black is just fine.

Got to say if you have the Guru jump on this handle and if you have the Konic just wait as these are around the corner.

Great company with a great product.

Pete A.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM

I like the handle (still need to post photographs!), and went ahead and got another one in blue. The seller's still got them on auction starting at around $6, but the buy it now price seems to have been lowered to less than $9 for those that can't wait like me.

If they are making Konic handles, I hope they are compatible with both the new and old versions of the Konics; apparently there is a new style that just came out.